Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Toon render questions....

I am enjoying my new found skill with the toon render... it is finally starting to make sense to me.

I have two questions...

1) Per the attached image... is it possible to create "edge" highlights... closer to my reference drawing?

I know... it isn't "realistic" lighting... would there be a way to fake this with the toon gradient somehow? Or a group with different settings? Would like as simple a solution as possible... may have to animate this stuff later.

Hard to see in the illustration but those highlights on the edges "taper" off at the ends.

2) I noticed that if I do small test renders... my bump maps seem to be offset... I have two images in a decal... a color image at 35% and a similar image set for bump. The color image has an alpha and is a single square that repeats depending on the size of the "buildings". The bump is the same as the color without the alpha.

It looks as if the bump is offset from the color image.

On the larger renders this doesn't occur. It also is not happening on anything "flat". It only has this effect on curved surfaces.

I am guessing this has to do with my toon gradient... at that small size... the gradient is too "big" for those small highlight details.

If this is the case I can just live with it... I will render large and scale down.

Vernon "?" Zehr

building_layout1.gif

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well... the toon render uses the gradient... so... the highlight is on one edge... and it effects the whole "range" depending on the light hitting it...

I am not very knowledgeable with the toon renderer although I am getting absolutely FANTASTIC RESULTS!

I think what I will do is just add a "shape" along the edges that taper. I will use a pose to fade them in and out as needed... they will just be flat solid white shapes, 100% ambient, that taper just the way I want.

I could even use a decal with an alpha... the possibilities are endless... now that I am getting a feel for the technique.

This will work FANTASTIC and be very easy to deal with.

---------------------

the other "problem" completely went away when I bumped up the multipass... actually just turning on multipass fixed it. The doubled up, offset decals were fixed using multipass...

WOOOOHOOOOO!!! I am having fun again...

Vernon "!" Zehr

My comments are related to the 11.0 version as I have not tinkered with toons in v12 yet.

The standard toon render uses only one light. If you have more than one, I could not get a pattern as to which one was playing. I *think* that toon with falloff allowed more lights but I could not wrap my noodle around how it worked.

Yes!

What Bill said!

That was my experience as well. I put in another light on the "other side" set for specular only... and got the same highlights on the edges... on the one side only... if I set the new light for diffuse.. of course it washes out the whole thing... because of the gradient settings.

So.. then I tried putting in a "fake" highlight in my toon gradient... it almost worked... but I got "funky edges" around the bevels.

Not a problem now. I like my "new and improved" method using a decal tapered "shape" on the edges and corners. I can control exactly how those little highlights appear... just like in Illustrator!

Plus... 3D... so I can rotate around...

Vernon "!" Zehr