Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Scream dialogue piece

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks!

Alright...since I was done with the main posing and breakdowns I moved on and went on to some follow through touchups to get rid of that "suddenly stopping" arm.

The next clip is in linear interpolation. I still have yet do do facial expressions and lip sync.

in the end I will be switching to zero slope interpolation because I need a very snappy look for this animation

Formula_linear_touchups.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. :) Nice anticipation and weight shift there, though not much follow through. Good acting choices overall.

There is some twinning in the arms. They occasionaly do the same motion at the exact same time as each other. You might want to change the timing so one arm hits the pose before the other arm does. Or vary the arm poses a bit so they aren't exactly the same as eachother so often.

Consider moving the feet a bit more. You have sticky feet syndrome for most of the shot. A guy that's this upset is gonna be moving about a little bit. For instance, he moves steadily down and forward throughout the shot. At the very least, you can pop his left foot forward to make it look more like he's aggressive towards whoever he's speaking to, and also to help maintain balance as his body moves forward.

There are some places where the lower body sticks and stops moving completely. If this isn't a stylistic decision, consider putting in some moving holds there.

The body and head seem a little stiff. You could have the upper body and head follow through on the motion of the body a bit. Ie, the body goes down, the upper body dips down a frame or two later, the head dips down a frame or two after that. (and the same idea when the body goes up, upper body dips up, etc...) That'll create some nice overlap throughout the body and really loosen up that character.

The last pose look a little off balance. What if he throws his left foot forward as he comes down into "suspect"?

You might want one more pose at the end. I notice a lot of dialogue clips just end with a held pose expressing the last word of dialogue. But since you hold so long, the character just looks like he suddenly stopped being angry. So I'd cut sooner, or put in some heavy breathing or some further small indication that he's still upset.

On the facial animation, pay attention to how often your jaw opens when you speak. It's actually not very often. Your lip synch is very stuttery. For instance, on "Everybody" my jaw only opens once on "every" and once again on "body". You don't need to make up for the lack of lips by overanimating the jaw. The dialogue will still read. What you have here matches very very well to the dialogue, it's just a bit too much.

Overall, it's really nice. If I critique too much, it's because I think there's a lot of potential to make it even better. Keep up the good work. :)

~Cristin