Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

WHAT THE HECK???

Can anyone figure out why the gears shrink and grow when the "pelvice" bone is rotated? I can't figure it out. All I did was rotate the gears using the rotate tool. How can that tool do anything even related to changing the size of an object?

(See attachment below)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(pleavens @ May 28 2005, 07:05 PM)

The models not embedded in the project.

The model has to be embedded for smartskin to work?

No. The project file you posted doesn't have a model in it. You could embed the model so it is saved in the project... the textures that are missing you might want to include also in the zip file... please.

(pleavens @ May 28 2005, 07:05 PM)

The models not embedded in the project.

The model has to be embedded for smartskin to work?

No. The project file you posted doesn't have a model in it. You could embed the model so it is saved in the project... the textures that are missing you might want to include also in the zip file... please.

Oh, heh, sorry 'bout that. :rolleyes:

Try it now.

(The textures shouldn't matter, so you can just cancel them when it asks.)

I_Robot.zip

Aah, this is going to seem like a lot of work but it will save you a ton of grief in the end.

1. Position the default bone at <start x=0, y=0, z=0> and <end x=0, y=0, z=1>

2. Attach the body core to a bone.

3. Translate the entire model using the "body" bone in bones mode to center it in "x" and place the "feet" at 0 "y"

4. Delete the entire "drivers" folder that has unused settings for the materials applied.

5. Delete all the existing smart skins that use "muscle mode" to rotate the gears. Due to the linear interpolation method of cps that are not controlled by a bone this method of doing the "gears" animation will not work.

6. Add bones for each gear.

7. Set up the rotational relationships using the gear bones. you can do this using smartskin to drive it directly in your existing FK setup.

I'll post your model in a bit with this type of system applied to the right side of the jaw for you to work from. And most of the other stuff taken care of as well.

Phil

I_Robot_mod.zip

Aah, this is going to seem like a lot of work but it will save you a ton of grief in the end.

1. Position the default bone at <start x=0, y=0, z=0> and <end x=0, y=0, z=1>

2. Attach the body core to a bone.

3. Translate the entire model using the "body" bone in bones mode to center it in "x" and place the "feet" at 0 "y"

4. Delete the entire "drivers" folder that has unused settings for the materials applied.

5. Delete all the existing smart skins that use "muscle mode" to rotate the gears. Due to the linear interpolation method of cps that are not controlled by a bone this method of doing the "gears" animation will not work. 

6. Add bones for each gear.

7. Set up the rotational relationships using the gear bones. you can do this using smartskin to drive it directly in your existing FK setup.

Umm..... huh? :huh:

I don't know if I understood all of that, but thanks! :wacko:

I'll post your model in a bit with this type of system applied to the right side of the jaw for you to work from. And most of the other stuff taken care of as well.

Sooo, is that the project attached to your post?

Sooo, is that the project attached to your post?

Yes.

Thank you very much.

Actually, it looks like your way's gonna be a whole lot easier to work with. There'll be a million bones, but.... I'll just hide 'em when I'm done smartskinning.