distortion in 5 point patch

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its' a pretty straightforward 5 point patch. Why is the decal distorting on it? There are actually two 5 point patches on the jpeg next to each other- both distorting!

What happens when you do an actual render on it?

I frequently encounter oddly-shaped patches which distort their decals in real-time shaded mode, but which look fine when you do a final-quality render on them.

This will be my first attempt at helping someone else with a question as I am usually the one needing the help. So here it goes, sometimes I get a distortion if the normals are not flipped in the right direction. Just from the pic I would guess that you need to flip the normals and see if that fixes it. Good Luck!

Also try checking your UV coordinates for that particular area. It's pinching as the though the projection was done with the selected cp/spline parallel to the upper cp/spline then the cp was dragged to its position. If your UV coordinates are distorted in this same manner you will get pinching like this as well. Of course that is if the flipping of the normal doesn't fix it.

J

http://www.zandoria.com/uv.htm

When you create an object in 3d the vertices/cps are given a 3 point location XYZ. There is also a corresponding set of coordinates given specifically to how materials will be effected on the object UVW. Therefore, if your UVW coordinates are drastically out of sync with your XYZ coordinates, and the size/shape of your material you will get undesirable distortion.

However, if you project the image directly onto the shape you have created then I don't see how this could be the problem--I just thought it was worth mentioning--and checking nonetheless.

J