sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Crazy Legs

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I took a look at this... here are the initial problems I see:

-The character is not modeled in T pose which make makes successful rigging pretty iffy. I realize you probably have some artwork that shows him in that stance he has, but you really should re-imagine him in the t-pose and build him like that. His legs will need to be the same length, at least. If he just needs to carry that sign and walk, just fixing the legs would get you by.

- None of the IK is working on the rig, that's going to make a walk cycle hard to do.

Some constraints have been left out, perhaps intentionally to save time. That's costing you time in animation.

-The walk cycle has more than one cycle in it. Just do one loop of the walk movement, and let A:M deal with repeating it in the chor.

But that's a good looking character! These problems are not hard to solve really. I think you could do it in about two or three evenings.

PS... Just to see if I could make something out of what we had, here's a walk cycle I did quickly.

The walk cycle actually resizes some of his leg bones so they're the same length (sort of) which causes some mesh problems. It's really chunky and stiff, but it is a "walk cycle".

Rebel_WalkFK.act

HEy Thanks robcat2075, that walk does look a lot better even if it is a bit stiff and chuky. well Thanks once again I appreciate your help. I will try to make it a bit smoother.

O yea Robcat2075 how did you make the stide length work? on my earlier model I had stride length and its legs would go crazy. As soon as I took stride length off its legs would look better. Any Idea why?

• Hash Fellow
O yea Robcat2075 how did you make the stide length work? on my earlier model I had stride length and its legs would go crazy. As soon as I took stride length off its legs would look better. Any Idea why?

I think Ken touched on it above. I don't recall the original project file, but since you had 12(?) steps in your walk action, A:M was trying to pack them all into the space of two steps (what it was expecting to find in a walk action) when it played your animation back in the Chor. Something like that. I think Ken made it work by stretching out the time that the action was happening over.

A walk cycle should just have two steps in it and the "stride length" should be set to the distance covered by one step (heel to heel, for example).

BTW, you'll find all of this in "Take a Walk" in your TAoA:M manual.

Have fun animating and next time... remember the T-pose.