Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Born Again Newbie with my first New Model

Hi All,

I got AM back when it was version 5.0, and stuck with it up to 7.1.. I stepped out of the 3-D scene for quite a few years, and just within the last few weeks, dropped by the Hash site to see the changes they made in software. I was blown away at the improvements (though I still need to upgrade :) ). Anyway, I've been doing 3D game development and low-poly (I know it's a dreaded word) modeling as a hobby/sidebusiness for about a year now, and wanted to start doing some cinematic stuff. So, out comes my copy of AM... To make a long story short, I'm in the process of "re-learning" AM <_< (you don't use it, you lose it), and thought that I'd get my feet wet by working on a new character. I was intending on using him for the Mascot competition, but after drudging along to get this far, I don't think he'll be ready in time. Anyway, here's a pic of what I've got so far. I've gotta give'm some ears and hair (I don't think I'll use much of the fur, but rather map the hair). Just shooting him out their as my WIP, and saying hi to the community!

post-7-1066748730.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice model - especially since it's been a few years, too! I like the painted textures for the face. Did you paint them in PShop or Painter? I ask because I have been tinkering with Painter and seeing how others feel about Painter. I especailly like the level of detail around the eyes and nose...nice!

Two things that come to mind:

1 - There is a protrusion near the chin. Is this the design of the face?

2 - I noticed a slight discoloration under the lip. Maybe clone an area near it to compensate?

Other than that, very nice and welcome back! Make sure to check out v11 features. A:M is as amazing as ever.

@Mega: Hey, thanks. I did the texturing in PShop, using some reference images and a lot of airbrush, bluring, and smudging :) .. It's how I do all my texturing for my realtime models. I really like PhotoShop and/or Paintshop pro . I've never really worked with Painter.. Do you like it? The protrusion wasn't intentional. I don't think it's as evident now (if we're talking about the same thing). And I took care of the "lip stick smudge" under the lip (though I may have overcompensated).

I'm really trying to find a nice way to do reallistic hair (given the version I'm using). Does anyone know of any good tutorials that don't use Hash's hair system, but rather texturing of patches? I've seen some really realistic stuff done with the older versions, but have yet to find a good tutorial. I was trying to combine decaling a color map and transparency map (which is what you see below), but it still doesn't look good enough for my liking.. Also, I need to improve his ears drasticly and add a little bump and spec map to him.

@ jfirestine: Here's some wireframe shots (I took the Hair out of the bare frame because it made everything look like a next ;) )

WireFrameFront.jpg

WireFrameBE.jpg

Here's how he looks after today:

MyPic2.jpg

I thought it rendered pretty well up close:

CloseUp.jpg

I did some searching tonight and found a few good Hair tutorials.. They were directed at LW and MAX, but the concepts looked simple enough to use. I've been playing around with it a little and been getting decent results, though I need a bit more practice to get it just right. Here's the link to the one that's worked the best for me.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/t.../modeling/hair/

Very nice update. Have you dropped him into a chor and rendered him in a scene? I'd like to see him rendered in an environment - I think it would really make your model "pop". Nice touch up on the lower lip. However, it looks like you may have lost some detail in the upper lip, as well as the tip of the nose. Maybe too much of the smudge tool? I know painting decals can be very tedious and difficult. I think you did an excellent job!

I have only used Painter, more or less, a few days helping a friend. I really liked it. However, it does not support alpha channels- which is odd. Then again, they really don't cater to 3D artists. I heard Painter 9 will have this!!! I had always wanted to learn Painter, but yet to find the time...one day I keep saying. :)

Haven't dropped him in a chor yet. I think I'm satisfied with the structure of the head so I've got to move on to the body now. I'll come back and touch up the textures and add the hair after I've got the body built. ...Oh just remembered, I've gotta do teeth/gums/tongue too. My initial thought was to go for a Sorcerer/Wizard type of a look. I've got a general idea... Will keep updated.

I haven't gotten V11 yet (still working with 7.1 <_< ), but plan on updating for Chrismas I think (the hair tutorial I saw on the Hash site was pretty nice). Can you setup spring-constraints on the hair to have a "cloth" feel to them since it's governed by splines?

7.1? Great time to upgrade! :D Can't wait for the teeth and tongue, these elements really help add more "character" to the models. I have only "played" with v11 for a day or two, so I honestly can't say if you can use spring-constraints on the hair to have a "cloth" feel to them. However, it may be possible. Check out the alpha forum -

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=948

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1139

There is a nice thread covering hair. I would bring your question over there and see what the others, who have used v11, have to say. I know that ZPiDER has done some awesome stuff with it, as well as Pequod.

V11, and hair, really pushes A:M into a new level of playing field. Amazing work being done by Hash, Inc. I plan to dive into v11 in about a month or so when I finally finish my current project. Have to say, I'm excited... :)

I haven't gotten V11 yet (still working with 7.1 <_< ), but plan on updating for Chrismas I think (the hair tutorial I saw on the Hash site was pretty nice).

By all means upgrade at Christmas... if you check with steve@hash.com and make sure you're getting the 2004 CD!

If not, you should wait for a few days until it comes out... traditionally the first of the year.

****This post has not been checked for misinformation****

• 9 months later...