Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

First model

Hi,

Here is a movie of my first model. A strange looking fellow. It's all original, I'd say I put about 8-10 hours into it. I've learned a lot but I could use some critiques to help me sort out the problem areas (I can upload the project file if that helps or is desired).

I used shaggy's hand as a reference when I made mine, but it has some real rough parts. Plus, there is one 5 point patch that will not close, no idea why. See pic.

One thing I can't seem to get is where you see a slight "diamond" area in a patch and can't seem to get rid of it. Also, I think I may have used too many hooks. In particular on the top of the hand, they look real bad :/

Please don't hold back, gimme the hard criticism, I really want to make some progress.

NOTE Hand picture on next post. I uploaded this as a zip - the .mov was 2 meg at 4 seconds. Not sure how to make it smaller, rendered it in preview/low.

Thanks!

Tom

post-7-1105198762.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

your spot with the missing patch looks like a spot to put in a 5 pt patch to do it click on each of the five points and the icon that looks like a pentagon should activate, when you click it, the patch will be made.

Also I don't think you uploaded the film you think you did, I got a short video of two balls falling and bouncing a little

• Hash Fellow

By "diamond" you mean the dark creases at spline intersections?

First guess... spline continuity error. Splines need to cross each other like an X at CPs, not meet and then turn right angles away from each other like ><.>

Break up the splines and connect opposing spline ends first.

In one case you have more than 2 splines running throught a CP. That's always bad. The tricky part is figuring out how not to do those.

your spot with the missing patch looks like a spot to put in a 5 pt patch to do it click on each of the five points and the icon that looks like a pentagon should activate, when you click it, the patch will be made.

Also I don't think you uploaded the film you think you did, I got a short video of two balls falling and bouncing a little

Right, the highlighted section is indeed a 5-point patch. My point was I did everything I could to make that section a 5-point patch and it won't close. I used control click, shift click, tapping the period key twice to select it, but it will not give me the option to make it a patch...

Sorry about the Movie mix up, and I can't seem to get my QT movie to be less than 1MB compressed so for now there is a picture up.. how do you make a smaller movie?

By "diamond" you mean the dark creases at spline intersections?

First guess... spline continuity error. Splines need to cross each other like an X at CPs, not meet and then turn right angles away from each other like ><.

Break up the splines and connect opposing spline ends first.

In one case you have more than 2 splines running throught a CP. That's always bad. The tricky part is figuring out how not to do those.

Yes! The dark creases...what you describe makes sense and I'll try that. I didn't notice the spot where I had more than 2 splines, I'll have to take a look. I was pretty bleary eyed at the end there, it was midnight :blink: