sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

trying for water on glass 1st attempt

johnl3d

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I understand the intent?

Water on a pane of glass?

The glass is vertical?

The water is sheeting down the glass?

If I do, I'd suggest you take a look at the effect in real life... you're talking fluid dynamics between a highly adhesive fluid across a non-adhesive surface that develops multiple layers.

I can see a piece of the sheeting effect you're going for but the underlying material (the one not travelling down the Y axis) is very distracting and seems wrong to me. And the Y-travelling surface has static waves in it- they need to more dynamic, I think- move that material through the z plane as well, maybe?

Water sheeting over glass vertically has wavelets that develop in a pattern regulated by the depth of the water (assuming a perfectly flat surface) as it travels down the surface (these wavelets are the front end of thicker layers of water)- these wavelets can roll over the underlying water with greater velocity than the underlying water- this forms dynamic multiple layers. One layer is adhering to the glass surface while the other is freed to move because it is adhering to only water. This is all a bunch of gobbldeegook, but it's sorta how it works.

Simulate something like that- or fake something like that to get an effect closer to what it looks like. You've a tough challenge ahead of you to get such a subtle appearing effect right.... but you're the special effects man, you can do it! :ph34r:

I did this before shutting down for the night just roughing out an idea so its far from perfect. I used a material that is animated on the z and y axis on two faiirly close planes to add depth. It needs a lot of tweaking and maybe it won't work as I thought it might but will post on it later if I get it to look better

and I guess I did 'try" instead of do or maybe in this case dew

Tinkering