Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Placing My Tower

I have modeled a tower and would like to "place" it in my back yard. Howver, I am still VERY new and as so my tower placement doesn't look as real as I'd like. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to make it look more realistic? I know I have to add a shadow and light and stuff. However, I havn't done any lighting tuts yet, and for the shadowing, I think I have to model a floor, which I'm not sure about either. Any help, (or just post a link to a tut that can help) would be great..

RedTower1.jpg

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing that strikes me most about it is the stark difference in color. The colors in the picture are very subdued (due to the light) and the tower is a very bold red. The other is the scale seems off.

Do some searching on Front Projection Mapping, I think that is the term for what you're trying to accomplish. Also, work on your lighting. The light in the picture is very subdued. It seems to be an overcast day based on the shadows (which are very soft.) Match the angle of the sun and perhaps go with a more stone color for the tower. Another angle to try to match is the camera focal length. If you know the focal length of the camera used to take the picture, then maybe that will help match the depth of field as well.

Another thing I just noticed is the doorway. Does it have a door or is it open so that you can see inside? If you can see inside, then perhaps it should be dark in there.

Disclaimer: Not the comments of an expert.

Just some thoughts that might help, as I am not a professional or an expert on A:M.

it looks like the picture was taken from slightly above the pictured persons height and slightly angled down. I would position the camera in A:M to mimic that angulation.

There is a dark shadow under the rim of the tower on the left side, but from the look of the shadows (what little there are) the sun was to the left and close to overhead. I would place a light in the approximate location of where you think the sun was on that day based on the orientation of your back yard and the time of day.

Fishman make a good point that the color is quite bold. With the lighting in the picture, even if you had a freshly painted Red barn, it would not be so bold. I think lighting in the Chor will be able to correct that. Did you render the tower in a Chor or in the modeling window?

The one other thing that I think will make this look more like it is physically in your back yard, is to match the Sharpness( or blurrinesss :D ) with objects the same distance from the camera. In this case, the person in the picture (who has slightly fuzzy edges) and the trees in the back ground that are more out of focus. You could try playing with the Depth Of Focus option in A:M or maybe some A:M post effects like blur, film grain. This could also be done in a photo/image editing program.

keep postin' and show us what you come up with :)

nice tower :)

1) place the camera higher so its looking down on the castle more

2) add shadows (make a plane for the ground and set it to front projection and flat shaded, and set a up a klieg with softshadows on)

3) add some kind of grain to the castle

keep it up!

Well evidently the attachment worked, so here's an explanation:

Forgive the crudeness of the photoshop cloning on the image, but it doesn't need to be a masterpiece for you to get the idea...

In any photo you take, the horizon will always be at eye level. Anything below that level you will obviously be looking down on, anything above it, you'll be looking up at. This means that on my version of your picture, the upper yellow disc represents you looking at the underside of the top 'circle' of your tower, the roof if you like. Obviously, the lower yellow disc will be its floor. You can see from the (very rough) red grid that I've drawn that all the parallel perspective lines are meeting at the horizon at the 'vanishing point'. What this all means is that you need to have a picture of your tower from a perspective which matches this and the grid I drew should help you to determine this.

Hope this helps and sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already knew