Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

dragon WIP

Hello there,

for those of you that have been following this in the main forum, here it is:

there are some creasing problems around the legs, I tried to keep it to 4 pt patches but in a few spots I just couldn't do it. On a positive note, the creasing doesn't seem to be as visible in the final render.

post-7-1089762223.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here's another view.....keep in mind this is a screen cap

I am probably going to make the chest stick out more front to back and also make it wider at the top.....the way it looks now is too birdlike. I will probably also move the legs in a little so his stance isn't so far apart. I am not happy with the feet yet, they are not finished.

post-7-1089762360.jpg

And here's the last image I'll be posting before I go to work today:

A final render image, the creasing doesn't appear to be too bad. So I don't know if its worth fussing with the leg. Perhaps adding some more patches where the problems are would help (to increase the resolution and reduce the size of the defects?)

post-7-1089762941.jpg

If you want to get rid of the creases, you need 5 point patches in there. Instead of running the spline into the leg, go round it and that allows you to put them in. Here's a mockup....

screencap.jpg

Absolutely, you can add tear apart and stitch as much as you want. Make sure you practice on a copy though. Tip: Pressing shift as you add a cp to a spline causes that cp to conform to the existing topology.

• 9 months later...

I realize this is a really really old thread, but I have finally fixed the creasing (at least most of it. However, I'm still getting some weird rendering artifacts.

In shaded/wireframe mode, there appear to be holes in the model. However, these disappear when I hit the final render button. Should I be concerned? Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I am posting a couple pics.

post-7-1115337201.jpg

What you are seeing is a result of your realtime subdivision setting being too low to define the patch correctly.

If your system can handle it you can raise the level (hit page up to increase, page down to decrease) and the realtime view will look more like the final render.

This is NOT REQUIRED in any way, but it will give you a better "look" at what you are working on.

Phil

ahhhhh

great, thanks, that explains it. Was worried there for a bit.

How do you think it looks now, based on the way it looked originally? I think its a substantial improvement, myself.