animation WIP

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it!

Here's a few suggestions:

- You could really push the anticipation poses alot further... coil him up more before he bursts into song. This will give him much more life. Make him sing with more passion.

- When his brow goes up reacting to the tomato being thrown, tilt his head to (our) left too. This will make the change in expression alot stronger.

-I'm not quite sure what happens at the end before the guitar swings in. If he is reacting to the lack of positive reaction from the audience, it might help to have him step back from the mic, tentatively.

Looking forward to the final version.

• Admin

Nice!

I could never get the sound to quite sync with the animation even after the whole thing was loaded. I'm sure the final product to the client works fine.

I take it the clanking and low level applause is intentional for the Mariachi theme at the beginning... to show the level of confidence from the audience toward the new singer. Not being accustomed to such... my brain was expecting a regular applause track I guess. I'm not sure how to emphasize that to the unlearned unless you were to add a sign on stage appropriate to the occasion... welcoming the raw talent to their big time opportunity. In short... watching the scene over and over I'm starting to get a feel for talent night that I didn't get the first time through.

Looks like you are almost there! A few minor tweaks as Parlo suggests and it's Mariachi time! :)

Rodney and Sam:

Thanks for the comments!

I'll take a look at incorporating Sam's comments tonight...

The sound... I used the Qmusic audio codec and I think it sounds like crap. The clanking is probably a compression artifact. The only intentional clanking is at the end once the mariachi has been blasted offstage and falls into some unseen disaster. I do have a few more applause tracks to choose from though. Maybe I'll try switching them out.

Any more comments would be appreciated.

I like it!

Here's a few suggestions:

- You could really push the anticipation poses alot further... coil him up more before he bursts into song. This will give him much more life. Make him sing with more passion.

- When his brow goes up reacting to the tomato being thrown, tilt his head to (our) left too. This will make the change in expression alot stronger.

-I'm not quite sure what happens at the end before the guitar swings in. If he is reacting to the lack of positive reaction from the audience, it might help to have him step back from the mic, tentatively.

Looking forward to the final version.

Well call me an idiot (if you must) but I wouldn't want to see those aniticipation poses made too strong, and think making this animation too "snappy" would ruin it's sort of laconic feel.

Cocking his head, for me, would ruin the funny understatement of his reaction. Now, maybe having him "see" the tomoto before we do would help in anticipating its appearence on the screen so it is easier to "read" what occured, but having him react too much would ruin that moment for me.

Anyway, all IMHO.

As usual, funny voices...

Interesting interpretation, Peter. Like I mentioned in another forum, there is a missing 'boo' track that will help tell the story also. However, at the tomato part, the boos will not be much more rude muttering from the unseen crowd. Having him slightly notice the incoming tomato before it's visible would add something nice right there....

• Admin
The clanking is probably a compression artifact. The only intentional clanking is at the end once the mariachi has been blasted offstage and falls into some unseen disaster.

Paul,

It might just be on my end but it didn't sound *much* like applause from here.

I pictured a crowd of mehican banditos from the barro clanking on tin cans and welcoming in the next brave soul. :D

It wasn't bad... but sounds like what I heard wasn't what you intended.

Well call me an idiot (if you must) but I wouldn't want to see those aniticipation poses made too strong, and think making this animation too "snappy" would ruin it's sort of laconic feel.

Stronger anticipation poses wouldn't make it more snappy, they would just help to strenghten the animation. In fact, if the speed of the moves was kept like it is (so a move from a more extreme pose to another would in effect take a little longer to accomplish) it would strengthen the laconic feel and not weaken it.

Cocking his head, for me, would ruin the funny understatement of his reaction.    Now, maybe having him "see" the tomoto before we do would help in anticipating its appearence on the screen so it is easier to "read" what occured, but having him react too much would ruin that moment for me.

The brow didn't read for me. The slightest tilt of the head will help this considerably. If it is done with a little overlap too, even better. Looking again I noticed that a little overlap could be applied to the head throughout. At the moment the head and torso appear to pivot left and right together. Delay the head a bit. Do it at the current speed and it'll reinforce his mood.

It's a really good piece, and the tone is a really hard one to achieve. Animating someone under-acting is HARD. It's making me want to cook up some chilli....

Thanks guys. These are some great comments, plus I had a reason to re-learn what 'laconic' means. I've gotten great comments here and the other places I put up the link. I 've got enough to make it final ( hopefully this weekend). I'll be sure to post a link to the final version! Thanks again! Having a community that will sit and think about your work and try to help you improve it is priceless to me.

• 1 month later...