Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Walk cycle

Sofabutt

I know there's a lot to be fixed with this walk cycle, but 'I'd appreciate any help all of you could offer. This is my first walk cycle, so it sucks, it's straight out of the book - or as close to it as I could get. I hope to address your critiques one at a time, but I'm sure that's going to put me into next year as far as the next render goes. :) but anything you could offer would be appreciated.

The link address is: http://homepage.mac.com/teamguy/PhotoAlbum6.html

Go to the Graphite file sharing link to download the walk cycle AVI.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The arms and legs look pretty good. Fluid.

Perhaps a sway in the hips and head. Or maybe just the hips and the head will follow. Anyway, the body needs to move from side to side a little.

Hope that helps.

Great work so far - the motion of the limbs is good and the feet have got a nice flop to them. You need to build up the movement of the body itself with backward/forward, side-to-side and up/down motion to show the shifts in weight as he goes from one foot to the other. Stand with both feet together then raise a foot without moving your pelvis. In order to start walking you're gonna have to fall forward, down and slightly to the side in the direction of your raised foot so that it makes contact with the ground and your pelvis/weight is positioned over it. You'll find that your knee wants to bend to cushion the weight shift, thus moving your entire body further down. Now raise the back foot and repeat.... These shifts are what are missing from your walk. (Obviously there are infinite variations on what I just described but these are the basics).

The body looks like it should be quite heavy to me as does the head which perhaps needs to bob along with the body.

If you haven't got it I can't recommend the 'Animator's Handbook' by Richard Williams enough. His disection of walks is truely awesome.

Keep up the good work

I've added a little motion to his body, and I'm wondering how to fix his arm motion. It seems to jump a little.

no I don' have a copy of the book you mentioned bu Richard Williams Parlo, but I am going to check it out online this weekend.

Thanks for the help, as usual your critiques are accuarate and helpfull. :)

Yep it is - for some reason I got the title wrong, which is pretty hard to do seeing as my copy sits ontop of my monitor the whole time.

You're walk is much improved - it'd be easier to see the movement if you take the animation out of the light. I still think that you could make more of his body movement and I can't see much side to side action yet. But as i say, it's getting real good.

Thanks, your suggestions are helping a lot. i think part of the reason for seeing a lack of side to side motion is that the upper and lower body are spheres, but Ill work on it. I think a sway to the shoulders is next, and maybe an exagerated pigeon head bobbibg is in order.

Thanks for the link to the cheaper site Sevanar.

Thanks for keeping an eye on my progress.

:)