Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Precision Decal Alignment

ArfGraf

Greetings,

I'm looking for some help with a project that I am working on. I am making a wine bottle, it is hollow and has interior patches. The problem that I am faced with is putting a label on the wine bottle and maintaining the flat appearance of the bottle's label. I know how to use specularity, reflectivity, transparency maps. The problem is that when I apply the decals in the model window is that after applying the color label using a decal I really have no way of precisely applying the follow up transparency, reflectivity, and specular maps to control the appearance of the label on the bottle in the final render. I have tried using guide lines in the modeling window to align the follow up maps, but things get slippery.

One of things that I recall from trying this before is taking a portion of the model and flattening that mesh. It seems that I remember taking this flattened mesh and working on the alignment of the maps in Photoshop.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can recommend some time of work-flow to accomplish this task:)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Hash Fellow

Welcome to the forum!

Presuming that you've made your decals so that they are all the same dimensions and would normally align if applied exactly...it's easy to apply them exactly!

Apply one decal in the normal manner, then drag any additional images that need to line up with it from the Images folder at the top of the PWS to the Images folder under the decals folder for your model.

make sure to set the "Type" for each image in the properties for that image.

Occasionally it is necessary to close and reopen a model after a operation like this to get them all recognized. Normally only Color and sometimes Transparency are visible in real-time mode.

Greetings,

I'm looking for some help with a project that I am working on. I am making a wine bottle, it is hollow and has interior patches. The problem that I am faced with is putting a label on the wine bottle and maintaining the flat appearance of the bottle's label. I know how to use specularity, reflectivity, transparency maps. The problem is that when I apply the decals in the model window is that after applying the color label using a decal I really have no way of precisely applying the follow up transparency, reflectivity, and specular maps to control the appearance of the label on the bottle in the final render. I have tried using guide lines in the modeling window to align the follow up maps, but things get slippery.

One of things that I recall from trying this before is taking a portion of the model and flattening that mesh. It seems that I remember taking this flattened mesh and working on the alignment of the maps in Photoshop.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can recommend some time of work-flow to accomplish this task:)