Lots of foilage

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you guys were going to attempt to model a garden with several hanging plants, ivy, and blooming flowers, what would your preferred method be? Hair maybe?

Depends on how complicated your scene is, as well as visibility range, and if its for an animation or a still?

Are you trying to recreate the image you posted? Or something different?

Hair would definitely be a good choice for one method, for lots and different varieties, with easy variations in shading, tones.

If you want realistic plant imagery - use image emitters for the hair that are taken from photos of the plant (like the leaves in your photo)

If for an animation, you would probably want to use multiple methods - background billboard imagery, then "cut-out decal" imagery, hair plants, modeled plants - for far to near viewing.

EDIT: Mark Skodacek - does wonderfully realistic hair trees, foliage, and is probably more what you were looking for. However when looking for some of my old examples of plants - I found this thread and this image for hairy garden plants

Edited by NancyGormezano

Thank you for the link Nancy. Beautiful tree you got there. "This is the tree - with two emitters but using the same image for both emitters - but each emitter colored by a different decal - mo' noize mo better" Could you expand on that please? It sounds like you have the same image for the shape of both emitters and also another image (decal) for the color? So if there was only one emitter, for simplicity's sake, it would have two images, one for shape and one for color? I must be getting this wrong since I only know of one place to put an image for an emitter? Also, you put an alpha image on the canopy to hide it, yet you also have another decal on it for color? How is that done? Set the alpha to tranparency and the color to, duh, color? Gotta go do some experimetin....

Thank you for the link Nancy. Beautiful tree you got there. "This is the tree - with two emitters but using the same image for both emitters - but each emitter colored by a different decal - mo' noize mo better" Could you expand on that please? It sounds like you have the same image for the shape of both emitters and also another image (decal) for the color? So if there was only one emitter, for simplicity's sake, it would have two images, one for shape and one for color? I must be getting this wrong since I only know of one place to put an image for an emitter? Also, you put an alpha image on the canopy to hide it, yet you also have another decal on it for color? How is that done? Set the alpha to tranparency and the color to, duh, color? Gotta go do some experimetin....

Umm...that was 2005...so hair works differently now in 15jplus, and now again, differently than it worked in 15e.

In 2005, I had 1 hair system, that had 2 emitters, where each emitter used the same image (could have been different images) for the "leaves", but the coloring of each emitter was tinted/driven by a different decal image applied to the same group surface - ie there was 1 decal container applied to the canopy surface - The decal container had 2 images, where the type for both of the images in the decal container was set to "other" and the property the image was driving was the diffuse color of one of the hair emitters. Therefore I could mix and match tintings, colorings of the emitters (via changing decal images) as well as experiment with using different images (shapes and colors) for the emitters.

I don't think having 2 emitters for 1 hair system works the same any more (I can't get it to work the same) - so would probably have to have 2 hair systems (each with 1 emitter) if you want 2 different looking leaf emitters on the same surface (ie the canopy group), being driven by 2 different decal containers.

As for hiding the canopy group, or making it invisible - I did a trick then, which became not necessary in 15e, but might be necessary again in 15jplus. The trick was - I have a small 100 x 100 tga image which is essentially an empty alpha channel (all black alpha channel) - and I add it to the canopy group as a patch image (NOT as a decal) and I set the type to cookie-cut - therefore making the canopy invisible, but doesn't make the hair emitter on the group invisible.

In 15e - one didn't need that trick, one could set the group surface specular color, transparency, other surface properties to be different than the emitter surface properties - but in 15jplus - I have yet to figure out how to have different properties - I can not seem to find the secret formula for setting the spec color for the hair emitter to something other than white (and also be different from the group surface spec color) - if you figure that out - please, please let me know. It is driving me batty.

tree.jpg

hairsystem2emitters.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

ahhhh...yes multiple emitters in 1 hair system being colored by 2 different images still works - I had set the the length of 2nd emitter to 0% - but when changed to 100% - it worked!

Now figure out how to make spec color of emitter different than surface spec color please, please, pleeeeesseee.