sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Roof curve and decals.

DJBREIT

I was putting decals on my models roof until I reached this curved piece I have tried a few things but it cames out distorted. So instead of poking and hoping all night I’m posting it here. What would be your approach to applying the decals to a curvy surface?

house_2.jpg

house1.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know what you tried (can guess) - and I would have to see the spline layout of your curved roof (can guess), and the image you used (can guess) -

1) So assuming your splines, and tile image look something like mine, my first inclination would be to go into an action with just the roof splines showing, go into muscle mode (in the action), select all cps, then flatten the surface by scaling to 0 on the y axis. Then still in the action, rearrange the cps so that the patches are somewhat uniform - and apply the decal from the top view, using a planar map. Set repeat count.

The above assumes you know how to apply a decal in an action, and know how to flatten by scaling (rather than using the flatten command). You might have to use different image to get the tiles to orient correctly

2) second try would be to use patch image method - select all cps of roof, right click on selection, choose add image, select your image. Change any orientations on patches that show up incorrectly - ie, right click on patch , select rotate image until it looks right. Then set the repeat count

3) or try using bitmap plus material on the roof, change orientation to what works, set repeat count

Ask questions about each method, if above is not clear.

decalplanartileroof.jpg

patchimagetileroof.jpg

2) second try would be to use patch image method - select all cps of roof, right click on selection, choose add image, select your image. Change any orientations on patches that show up incorrectly - ie, right click on patch , select rotate image until it looks right. Then set the repeat count

This one turned out not to have some of the flexibility that I needed.

Don't know what you tried (can guess) - and I would have to see the spline layout of your curved roof (can guess), and the image you used (can guess) -

1) So assuming your splines, and tile image look something like mine, my first inclination would be to go into an action with just the roof splines showing, go into muscle mode (in the action), select all cps, then flatten the surface by scaling to 0 on the y axis. Then still in the action, rearrange the cps so that the patches are somewhat uniform - and apply the decal from the top view, using a planar map. Set repeat count.

This one I did try but after realizing I had to figure out the steps. I decided to ask to see if there was a simpler way of doing this instead of eating up my hole night on this one problem. But it turned out to be the one that I used to fix the roof.

This is How the spline Was set up on the roof

spline1.jpg

I isolated the part I was working on and made a spline along the edge of the roof line then using the “rotate translate”

Image3.jpgspline4.jpgspline6.jpg

I made the spline flat wile keeping the CP distance the same as the coved piece..

Image9.jpg

No images after this do to two crashes And being frustrated I forgot to take them.

Then went to “Pose mode” “ON/OFF” the switched to “muscle mode” then flattened ( as you said) the model with the property. “Y=0" then used the spline as a guide and stretch the outer splines to the CP marks on the single spline that I made from the edge. Then I added the two decals one was a bump map the second was added as a diffuse map. No color map was added.

Image12.png

Not a full render.

Image14.png

Thank Nanncy :)