gold texture

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gold has a highly reflective surface similar to the chrome materials. Without something to reflect it is not going to look nearly as good. If you are only doing quick renders in hte model window it is not going to truly show what you are going to get in the choreography.

Consider using the chrome material straight off of the CD and then using a second material with an environment map.

Consider the pics below, the first is the environment map. I only did a quick change to the color and wasn't really trying to perfect it. The second is a chrome material on top of the environment map. The third is the exact same shot but with the environment map changed to a grayscale image with the contrast tweaked to get a more chrome look even though it is still not perfect.

Good luck,

Wade

post-469-1214845884_thumb.jpg

post-469-1214845957_thumb.jpg

post-469-1214845970_thumb.jpg

Not all gold surfaces reflect the same. Polished gold jewelry is highly reflective, whereas gold bars or gold dabloons or Egyptian artifacts are not nearly as reflective. What is it you are going to use the gold material on? I am tweaking some gold material now. I'll post the render when I finish tweaking.

Gold, Gold, Gold....

Gold color: RGB 253, 100, 200

Spec color: white

Spec size: 212

Spec intensity: 700

Reflectivity: 30 with reflection filter set to 100% and reflective blend set to 50%

You can use a small amouint of glow, but I did not.

I also made a bitmap plus material set for bump at -14 percent to give the rough look and used the same bitmap material to give a bit of an environment. The jpeg I used was just a pic of a piece of limestone that I made into a tileable image. Lighting is also important if yo want the gold to look right. Make sure you have specularity turned on when lighting. That's about it.

Btw, the pic with the pile of gold is a true representation of what $200 million would buy at today's price. That's 540 ingots of gold, each weighting 27 lbs at $925/oz.

Gold_render0.jpg

limestone_500.jpg

200_Mill.jpg