sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Rotoscope Troubles

Dango

Hey anyone...

I am new to A:M and was performing one of the tutorials and it asked me to insert a photo via Rotoscope (or something to those lines). I picked the image they wanted me to insert, but once it loaded to the program, there was no photo, only a white square/rectangle. I have no idea what that means or how to fix it. Please give me some advice or tell how to fix that.

Thank you,

Dango

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't tell from this distance :)

What sort of photo is it - is it a jpeg? bmp? tga? png?

Did you try right clicking Images in the Project Workspace, and importing it that way?

Is the image small enough to post here and let us check it out for you?

Can you save the image to a different format and load that one?

Welcome to the forum, anyway :D

A rotoscope is just like a background reference picture. When you have a rotoscope behind your model, it is easier to draw the model on top of it. Normally you need a minimum of side and front views, and they can be quite difficult to coincide accurately.

Have you been to http://www.hash.com/2007web/newuser.htm and downloaded The Art of Animation:Master? In that book you will find the best starter tutorials. Also make sure that you have downloaded the data to do the tutorials at ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/misc/data.zip

Well it is the giraffe tutorial, and i believe the picture is a jpeg. I just tried your suggestion, and the picture is still just a white rectangle. I have also tried changing its format, but its still the same white box. Thanks and I believe the picture i am talking about is default to A:M.

Do you have any other advice?

Dango

The "white box" is generally assumed to be a video card driver issue. make sure all your drivers are up to date. I have found too that the physical size in kb can also cause a rotoscope of decal to not show at all. I think it is a ram issue in those cases. try reducing the size of the image.

-vern

The giraffe picture has been tried and tested by thousands, so it must be something on your specific system, like, as Vern says, the video card drivers.

You could also try Tools Menu > Options > Global Tab, and switch the realtime driver from/to Open GL/Direct 3D v8.

If you are on Vista, there are some other suggestions throughout the forum about turning off Aero, etc, but I can't help you with that one.

The "white box" problem is as old as AM almost. I've encountered it several times and updating drivers always did the trick for me, even on the Mac... I think more recently that switching form Open GL/Direct 3D works sometimes too.

-vern