Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

scanning models to create 3d models

time

I assume from absence of any real information in guides that it is not possible to use any form of scan software (eg on clay models) to develop character in Hash... characters must be created by the stitching method described I think. Any advice welcome. also about importing characters from other programmes outside Hash...

I understand that inanimate objects can be imported. Are there any tools for converting an inanimate object from say 3dstudio max into an object that can be animated in hash?

Many thanks. Look forward to responses!

Sorry, I am an AM newby and just learning the ropes here... and clearly this is much the best character animation software on the market today.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin
I assume from absence of any real information in guides that it is not possible to use any form of scan software (eg on clay models) to develop character in Hash... characters must be created by the stitching method described I think. Any advice welcome. also about importing characters from other programmes outside Hash...

I understand that inanimate objects can be imported. Are there any tools for converting an inanimate object from say 3dstudio max into an object that can be animated in hash?

Many thanks. Look forward to responses!

The answer will depend on your experience and knowledge of the formats and the conversion process in question.

I have to assume from your post that you aren't very experienced or knowledgeable in either one. Hey... join the crowd! ;)

If your experience is little and your knowledge lacking then it will be near impossible to get animatible characters from other programs into A:M. The differences in methods used are a considerable challenge.

Several professionals have bridged that gap but to the tune of at least $1000. Previously a studio that supposedly perfected the process (or as near to it as is possible) said they'd license the technology for around $150,000. But... this mostly to get A:M models wholely converted into other programs. Everything from everywhere else into A:M? Not likely for any amount of money.

Clearly its not an easy process.

I have yet to see the work produced from those methodologies so I can only assume they are worth the investment to these guys.

A:M models usually work and animate best when the splines are continuous.

With other programs this is rarely the case and many methods are used to manipulate the models.

When a model is imported from another program into A:M from these other programs the importer has to make decisions of where to continue the splines. If many splines meet at a single intersection some decisions are going to be wrong.

*If* you can design your model in these programs with A:M in mind.

*If* you understand the process of conversion

*If* you model in such a way that the particular importer/converter can translate the model well

*If* you can keep the mesh simple enough

*If* you have the money or programming prowess to successfully convert the models

Then you should find great success in using other programs models in A:M.

Most people don't have the patience or resources to put toward it so they model in A:M instead.

Its not impossible and I don't want to be all doom and gloom but I want to tell it to you as straight as I can.

Outside of Props its not going to be easy to animate models from other programs in A:M.

To answer your question though!

Are there any tools for converting an inanimate object from say 3dstudio max into an object that can be animated in hash?

There are plugin Importers available for the following formats (there may be others but this is all that I have):

- .3DS

- .OBJ

- .DXF