Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How coud I Play with the "Rand ()" Expression Wavelength/Velocity?

Ramón López

Well, hello :) ...I've been searching and I asked this question too into another post without very luck for now but I think the reason could have been it has gone unnoticed there, so... I'll try new luck here.

I'm treating to take advantage of Expressions in general for some automatic movement tasks and specially of that command called "Rand()" but I have a doubt about how could I modify his "temp", do you know how I could get more quick or slow variations with that Rand() value? I mean, I know I can vary the "Amplitude" in this way Rand()*100-50 (in example), but I can't figure how could I vary the "wavelength" to control the velocity with that random movements are generated...

Hmmm, it'd be very usefull and I hope it makes sense, well THANKS in advance!!!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, hello :) ...I've been searching and I asked this question too into another post without very luck for now but I think the reason could have been it has gone unnoticed there, so... I'll try new luck here.

I'm treating to take advantage of Expressions in general for some automatic movement tasks and specially of that command called "Rand()" but I have a doubt about how could I modify his "temp", do you know how I could get more quick or slow variations with that Rand() value? I mean, I know I can vary the "Amplitude" in this way Rand()*100-50 (in example), but I can't figure how could I vary the "wavelength" to control the velocity with that random movements are generated...

Hmmm, it'd be very usefull and I hope it makes sense, well THANKS in advance!!!

Have you tried using the GetTime() function, Ramon?

...HELLOoO!!! I've tried it but that I don't know is if I'll have done it in the right way :rolleyes: cause anything (including that GetTime() funtion) I've tried to add to that other Rand() one, finally directs me to the same "Missing a Right Parenthesis" or that other "Error syntax in the expression" advise, so well known for me... or as latelly, where I don't obtain any advise neither result...

And well, it's clear that the real problem here is I'm limited to the "trial and error" technique cause I have not much information about all this functions nature and his combination ways... I have found some examples where that GetTime() is used and I've tried to take advantage of it in many ways, Transform.Translate.X = Rand(7*GetTime()), Transform.Translate.X = 5*(Rand(10/GetTime()))*100-50, Transform.Translate.X = 0.2*(Rand(7*GetTime())+Rand(13*GetTime()))), or whatever... without any other result but the error advises, no errors but no results, or in the best cases amplitude variations in the Graph movement but NEVER wavelength/velocity variations... So well, is there really some place where I can learn this kind of basic things about Expressions? I mean, how they must be exactly combined and how must I exactly use that "()" (and with what others) simbols in the right way? It'd be very nice cause in the A:M help I have a little description of the functions but nothing more...

And well, :D THANK YOU :D very much for still be there and over all for the other one help! I think I'm going to study your proporsal carefully cause it seems really interesting and then I'll coment impressions :), BYE!