Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How Can I Smooth my Raytraced Shadows?

Ramón López

Hi! Yeah, that is... All my raytraced proyected shadows seem to me like a bit "sharp" and I think there must be a light option to avoid it in the same way I can add blur (or smooth) to my Z-Buffered shadows, isn't? Although I've been study all the options unsuccessfully and finally I don't know if really I won't be missing something about all this... Ohhh, this damned A:M curse! Always a newbie... :)THANKS!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi! Yeah, that is... All my raytraced proyected shadows seem to me like a bit "sharp" and I think there must be a light option to avoid it in the same way I can add blur (or smooth) to my Z-Buffered shadows, isn't? Although I've been study all the options unsuccessfully and finally I don't know if really I won't be missing something about all this... Ohhh, this damned A:M curse! Always a newbie... :)THANKS!

If you are using a Klieg light (and probably sun light) - you can increase the width of the light and it will sorta soften the raytraced shadows - I believe

EDIT: first image is 1 inch width for klieg light, 2nd is 10 foot width

1inch.jpg

10foot.jpg

If you are using a Klieg light (and probably sun light) - you can increase the width of the light and it will sorta soften the raytraced shadows

Also, using MultiPass makes this even more apparent, when you use multipass A:M jitters the light in each pass based on the light width, if light width=0, there will be no jitter.

PS. and yes, jitter is the funny word for today! :P

-Jim

Well I'm going right now to try it! It seems that I was thinking more in some specific parameter just like something like "soft edges" or blur/smooth, but I see things could be different talking about raytracing than in the other normal cases... hmmm, really I don't know too much thing about lighting yet... Well, THANK YOU very much to both for the a advises and for spend your time posting that images, BYE!

PS: Hmmm... jitter? I'm not totally sure about that word means in context :mellow: