sprockets Making and Using Drop-On Poses TinkeringGnome's Atomic Rings PRJ 2001 Star Gate effect in A:M with PRJ Comparison of AO and Radiosity Renders Animated Commercial by Soulcage Tralfaz's Lost In Space Robot Rodger Reynold's Architectural WIP
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need to animate a bed blanket

edlundart

I am working on an animated short, doing scenes in order of my own ability to complete them. I'm learning as I go along. Now I have a scene coming up which will present a challenge. Basically it will have my character in bed, under a blanket and she is supposed to grab the blanketand "fold it" away from herself as she is getting out of bed. I'm thinking about trying Cloth for this (for the first time), but does that seem like the right approach to you? Maybe I could just model a blanket and put bones in it that will allow me to animate it from a more or less straight state to a folded state. Do you think that would be better in this case?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When using cloth, you're basically leaving it up to the program to simulate it for you. You don't really have control over cloth simulation, you do not control how it folds so it may or may not go the way you want. You have to know the limitations before you can decide. I would not recommend it for a beginner. You're better off doing it manually for now (model a blanket and rig it) until you're experienced enough to experiment with the cloth feature.

Thanks Dhar, that's kinda what I suspected. I appreciate your thoughts, in this thread and everywhere on this forum. I look forward to one day being able to answering people's questions instead of just asking.

If anyone have thoughts or ideas on how to accomplish this, do chime in. I think I've got a pretty good idea, it will just be a challenge to do it in a way that will look believable.