Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Need help flipping bones

Hey, kids--

I'm slogging my way through the rigging tutorial in David Rogers' book. After you rig one leg, it says to copy the pelvis-down hierarchy, select those, enter scale mode, and scale them -100% in the x-axis to flip 'em. That's no problem with CPs, but all of the scale boxes for bones stay grayed out, and I can't figure out how to get them active. I can scale those bones using the scale manipulator in the modeling window, but obviously that is imprecise, and I can't flip them on the x-axis that way.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanksh--

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, kids--

I'm slogging my way through the rigging tutorial in David Rogers' book. After you rig one leg, it says to copy the pelvis-down hierarchy, select those, enter scale mode, and scale them -100% in the x-axis to flip 'em. That's no problem with CPs, but all of the scale boxes for bones stay grayed out, and I can't figure out how to get them active. I can scale those bones using the scale manipulator in the modeling window, but obviously that is imprecise, and I can't flip them on the x-axis that way.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanksh--

I show a similar method in the A Face Rigging Method tutorial, that might help. However, if you are using v13 or v14, you can just use Steffen Gross' "MirrorBone" plugin that you can find on this page.

Hope that helps.

Mirrorbone rocks--thanks!

(No offense--it's only because of download times and other-workload that I didn't check your tut' first. I'm sure it's just as good, though!)

Cheers!

No offense taken. I use MirrorBone a lot, it should be a part of everyone's workflow. Steffen did a fantastic job on it and his other plugins are just as good...well worth downloading all of them, in my opinion.