Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

How do I close up this shape?

edlundart

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting to do my own modeling in A:M, and I'm trying to close up the "hole" in this shape. How should I go about doing it? I was wondering if I could just extent the splines from the bottom up to the horizontal spline at the top of the hole and attach them as hooks, but it doesn't seem to work. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm successfully creating hooks. When I see pics of people's hooks, it's just a spline leading into another at a 90 degree angle, but with no control point joining the two. When I do it, I get a control point... what am I doing wrong?

Or if hooks is not a good solution here, what would you suggest?

Thanks for any advice you might have!

post-10445-1170996694_thumb.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a possibility, but the shape gets more complex up there (outside the frame of the attached picture), so it might not be an elegant solution. I'll do it if there is no better alternative, but I'm hoping for some other tips. Thanks for your response!

Well, I figured out what I was doing wrong with hooks, though they're leading to other problems at the moment...

Barry, thanks for your input. Here is a larger picture. Basically I'm trying to model figures in the style I've developed over the years as an illustrator/fine artist (edlundart.com). Now that I want to animate them, I am trying to add rounded edges to everything so that the figures' edges will catch the light in appealing ways. Aaaaanyway... the screenshot:

post-10445-1171000573_thumb.jpg

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'm successfully creating hooks. When I see pics of people's hooks, it's just a spline leading into another at a 90 degree angle, but with no control point joining the two. When I do it, I get a control point... what am I doing wrong?

Press Shift+A and then click and drag on a CP to extend the spline. When you weld the CP you're dragging to another spline, it'll form a hook instead of stitching in as another control point.