Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

obj->mdl conversions

Muff

objconvert0.jpg

OBJ.zip

Correction:This only seems to work as stated, with "Poser" obj files. And after some fiddling, its actually more the same as with the 3ds/lwo problems - too much splinage to even mess with? I havent tried Exporting yet into LW or Poser. So Ill report back on export exploits?

I did find some talk on the OBJ side of AM - http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24581

Ok. Now this is just something simple that I stumbled across for anyone wanting to convert the Popular OBJ format to AM (mdl). The sole purpose for this is for anyone who doesnt already know (newbies), and wants to do some modding of pre-existing work done with this popular format based on polygons. Ive tried the whole .3ds & .lwo 3rd party plug-in import thing (forget it!), it just doesnt work realistically because of the whole "triangulation" thingy (Im not a programmer). Those formats are just a NIGHTMARE to even fathom when it comes to modding. BUT, I found that this 3rd party plug-in for OBJ files works to near 97% perfection on importing of correct patches. This plug-in is from a well known AM site for Plug-ins (free and commercial); Im just not sure of the address off-hand? For newbies, this is probably something ok. The only DRAWBACK, is the spline count, which can reach MASSIVE proportions when it comes to AM's standards? But it is pretty dead-on as far as accuracy of importing. It takes anywhere from 5-10 minutes to import(3.0mb file), and can be saved as an .mdl in less than a few seconds. I zipped 2 files that are in my plug-ins folder. An Hie(?) and an Hxt. Im not sure which one is the file (Im just throwing this up here quickly). So you can take the time to figure which one is the true plug-in. Most likely .hxt... AM isnt known to be a conversion friendly model format to the major (polygon) programs out there, at least as far as my current version of 12. (with the correction noted at the top, it isnt gunna be)

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images