sprockets Hans Donuts Featured USS Midnight spotlight Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Constraining a CP to a single X, Y, or Z

lafnjack

There was a previous thread on this, but I wasn't sure what version was discussed (I could have missed it).

But is there a way during modeling, as I move a control point, to limit that movement (for example) ONLY to X? As I choose windows, it tends to allow movements in a plane, so I would be moving in X AND Y... But in many cases, I want to ONLY move a single vector at a time.

Thanks much!

John

PS: The other post had mentioned using #'s 1-6 or so. I took that to mean using the various camera views, but this would still have the CP move in 2 coordinate systems (ie: X and Y, Y and Z, X and Z), yesno?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It mean 1-6 on the main keyboard....not the keypad at the side. 1, 2 and 3 constrain in x, y and z respectively and experiment with the other three. (you have to highlight a spline for some like move along a spline)

SWEET! Thanks very much for the clarification!

Addendum: Hmmm...I tried it. I highlighted a CP, and then hit 1-6 on the keyboard, but it did nothing to constrain the movement of the CP in 3d space. AHHH!!!! I have to keep the keys held DOWN as I move it! NOW I got it! YEA! THANKS!

John

It mean 1-6 on the main keyboard....not the keypad at the side. 1, 2 and 3 constrain in x, y and z respectively and experiment with the other three. (you have to highlight a spline for some like move along a spline)

• 2 weeks later...

2 cents here:

I have to say that holding the "4" to move a cp along a spline is definately one of my most used keys for controlling cp movement.

ALso using the arrow keys to nudge cps in any direction is also very useful.