Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Incomplete Shadow

Moonsire

I have something of a dilemma with a shadow. As you can see in the image accompning this question, the shadow of the horn charactor is incomplete. The bell is open, and thus the shadow does not show it. What can I do to get the shadow to cast fully as it is supposed to?

post-5479-1165097407_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have something of a dilemma with a shadow. As you can see in the image accompning this question, the shadow of the horn charactor is incomplete. The bell is open, and thus the shadow does not show it. What can I do to get the shadow to cast fully as it is supposed to?

I've been a bit confused by this myself. I'm not sure what the rule is, but under some circumstances, it seems that surfaces of zero thickness don't cast shadows.

I built an office chair that was a single sheet thickness, but had an edge that was an extruded tube. The edge cast a shadow, the surface between did not.

I could go for an explanation myself.

• Hash Fellow

In the properties for "Ground" turn Options>cast shadows to ON to single thickness shadows to show up.

I forget the explanation about why the ground casting shadows has anything to do with this but it does in some CG way.

I've been a bit confused by this myself. I'm not sure what the rule is, but under some circumstances, it seems that surfaces of zero thickness don't cast shadows.

I built an office chair that was a single sheet thickness, but had an edge that was an extruded tube. The edge cast a shadow, the surface between did not.

I could go for an explanation myself.

There you go. I took another look at my own picture, and sure enough, the rim of the horn can be seen as a shadow, which makes sense by you explination, because I rapped the edge around on itself to make it thicker. Perhaps I'll try to create a second layer of the large part of the bell, and see if that works.

Thanks for the idea ArgleBargle. :D

In the properties for "Ground" turn Options>cast shadows to ON to single thickness shadows to show up.

I forget the explanation about why the ground casting shadows has anything to do with this but it does in some CG way.

I just tryed the shadow switch on ground and sure enough, it works. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll also try ArgleBargle's suggestion, to see if that works as well. Always better to understand how all this works.

Big thanks to both of you.