sprockets Live Answer Time Demo Tinkering Gnome's Sparkler PRJ Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Newbie to be

DonnyG

I'm a retiree looking to expand my creative juices. For years I have dabbled in photography/videography, video editing, and simple graphic work.

The A:M application really caught my eye, and I will probably purchase it. I've gone thru most all of the information on Hash's home page, including the tutorials. It looks like I should be able to get a handle on the operational techniques. How far I'll be able to go with it depends on my commitment and interest. (and lasting brain cells!)

But my question is, how well will my little puter handle the application and it's rendering chores? I'm running an iMac with PowerPC G4, 800 MHz; 768 MB SDRAM; 60 Gig; OSX 10.4.8.

I thank you for any responds.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here's my trick. (And I have a semi-cutting-edge computer.) Model during the day, render over night. Even if your computer is really slow and outdated, give it 7 hours to render (and 7 hours for you to sleep), and you'll do well.

There are several variables that will effect the render time. Think about what type of work you want to do, and how many of these would be used. The more, the longer, the more you might want to look for a comp upgrade:

1) Material detail. Complex, bumpy surfaces take longer then smooth, plain ones.

2) Reflections. Mirrors'll kill ya. ;) Well, if you use a lot of them.

3) Transparencies.

4) Particles/Fur.

5) Fog.

6) Render size.

7) Render file format. (This I have a feeling is highly debatable, but I know it effects me. A TGA sequence renders faster then a MOV file.)

8) Radiosity. It'll kill you too. ;)

9) Refraction.

Short answer, you'll do great with AM while you're starting out. By the time you're doing big renders, you'll probably be ready to up your system as well. ;)

Welcome, and good luck! :D

Welcome Donny,

AM is a great hobby. If the bug bites and sticks, you are in for many hours of creative enjoyment. Your system is probably on the low-end performance wise. It will certainly be ok as you start the first exercises but if you decide to go further, you are going to want a much higher performance machine. The productivity difference is huge. You are probably six months to a year from having to make that decision.

Good luck!

Thank you all for your input. Sounds like I'm good to go for now. An upgrade will be in the cards soon.

(I'll also need it for HD video editing)

One other question if I may. Isn't the 2007 A-M disc due out any day now? If so, maybe I should wait for that one.

Thanks again...