Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Extruding

Sruli B

I'm following the modeling tutorials in the new David Rogers book, and I'm trying to extrude a cube. Easy, right? Well, when I'm in the front view and I try and extrude the four cps, instead of extruding them outwards, it just makes another square right beneath. When I change to the perspective view the square gets extruded, but it's all cockeyed. Any help or pointers out there?

Thanks

Sruli

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hash Fellow

I'm guessing your extrude direction in your defaults isn't what the book is expecting.

but if your new CPs aren't in the right spot you can always drag them to a better place. they're still selected after you do the extrude so they are easy to drag.

if you post a screen cap someone might have a better guess.

If I'm not mistaken, the default offset for extrusions is -10 along the Y axis, meaning that when you hit E (or the extrude button), the extruded cps will appear 10 units below the originals. An easy way to get them where you want them is to simply translate them 10 units up in the properties field and relocate them from there. If you want to change the extrusion offset default (I just keep mine at 0, because that's the way I think), go to Tools-->Options-->Units and change them there.

For modeling it's best to keep the view as orthographic in most cases--the cockeyed-ness you're seeing is perspective mode, where the view imposes a vanishing point and displays things accordingly.

Mark

B)-->

QUOTE(Sruli B @ Aug 20 2006, 09:32 PM) 192999[/snapback]

I'm following the modeling tutorials in the new David Rogers book, and I'm trying to extrude a cube. Easy, right? Well, when I'm in the front view and I try and extrude the four cps, instead of extruding them outwards, it just makes another square right beneath. When I change to the perspective view the square gets extruded, but it's all cockeyed. Any help or pointers out there?

Thanks

Sruli