Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Applying animated decals

phort99

Is there a way in Animation Master or maybe through a plugin that allows you to apply an animation such as an AVI or an MOV and stamp it onto an object either as a decal or a texture? From what I can see the only plausible method is to save it as frames and keyframe the transparency of each frame, but this is extremely impractical. When I try to apply an MOV as a decal it crashes the program (resulting in 1 lost model due to not saving) and I can't figure out how to add an image to a texture object in a project. I can't even figure out how to save a 24-bit AVI to try using that, and GIFs (the original file format) are somehow entirely unsupported by the program (A big inconvenience which forces me to recompress my images in another format making them look worse). Any help would be appreciated, but from what I can see, frankly I'd be better off using Cinema 4D. I have a deadline of Friday night, making this highly inconvenient.

In an entirely unrelated note that should probably be left to another thread, how does importing 3D models from polygon-based programs work, exactly? For instance, how does it convert to splines, does it juse peak every point?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

answer to your first question is that it can be done, unfortunately, I can't help you with how.

To the second question I do not believe it peaks every point..

This whole thing might be faster answered in the Animation:Master forum

Is there a way in Animation Master or maybe through a plugin that allows you to apply an animation such as an AVI or an MOV and stamp it onto an object either as a decal or a texture? From what I can see the only plausible method is to save it as frames and keyframe the transparency of each frame, but this is extremely impractical. When I try to apply an MOV as a decal it crashes the program (resulting in 1 lost model due to not saving) and I can't figure out how to add an image to a texture object in a project. I can't even figure out how to save a 24-bit AVI to try using that, and GIFs (the original file format) are somehow entirely unsupported by the program (A big inconvenience which forces me to recompress my images in another format making them look worse). Any help would be appreciated, but from what I can see, frankly I'd be better off using Cinema 4D. I have a deadline of Friday night, making this highly inconvenient.

In an entirely unrelated note that should probably be left to another thread, how does importing 3D models from polygon-based programs work, exactly? For instance, how does it convert to splines, does it juse peak every point?

You can import the mov file, then you should be able to apply it.

Are you saying the original images you have to work with are gifs?

Usually gifs are lower quality.

Maybe you can elaborate as to what you are trying to do and with what?

Importation of most other formats is clunky, 3ds is the best, and than you can just import it as a prop, meaning it can sit, or spin but you can't manipulate it in the sense of a rigged model.

Is there anyway you could post the mov file? or email it? I could try to see if ther is an issue with it.

David

I'm still fairly new, and playing around with, so take this with its grain of salt...

I did get MOVs to work as a decal, but I had to play around with the compression type...

In the end, I went with an image sequence (tga) which decaled and worked much easier for me.

Even if it did take a lot of space. Just import the image sequence, frame start, then sized and applied the decal.

I believe when you import, it decides whether to peak or not based on the angle in and out of the CP.

Anyway, I know it is after your deadline, but I hope this helps for future referance... : )