josema

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey there:

Nice work. The daylight sequence and the water are fantastic (although I think the bird flying animation could use some work).

But I can't read those words at the bottom of the sea! You could add a light or two from different angles and that would help a lot.

Nice over all feel. I too agree you can't quite read the logo that well at that bottom. The water looks really good. One thing I notice and I've seen it before in other water renderings is that there is not nearly enough depth compressing the water in the distance. What I mean is, as your camera looks out across the ocean, the ripples and waves look the same size. This to me really gives the impression that I am looking at a big vertical wall of water rather than a large, horizontal body of water. I don't know at all how you fix this but if you could then I think it would help sell the scale of your opening shot.

Nice turtle by the way!

the only thing i feel i need to add is that i think it may be a touch too lengthy for an intro to a demo reel, especially if you are an animator looking to get hired (as opposed to a company seeking new clients). if it's the former, remember you have 30 seconds to show them jaw-dropping animation, and this would use up a good chunk (if not all) of that time.

looks great, though.

Zach: I think you're right about the bird. As a matter of fact, I just used one from the Hash library. I think it's a duck.;-)

Slipin Lizard: Yes, you're right. How to make the ocean believable. Big waves and all. That's the question. I'm glad you liked the turtle. As a matter of fact, I modeled her almost a year ago. I've included the jpeg.

Ken: Just let me know how I can help, and I'm there.

Northern Boy: You are so right on the length. I mean I can watch it over and over again, because it's mine and because I know all the work that went into it. But I got to edited down some how. Get there quicker, so to speak. I'll work on that. Thank you for your suggestion.

post-1398-1132003323_thumb.jpg

JAB Design Studio.

I could read it... barely.

Over all, I like the "feel" of it but as others have said parts of it need work.

I think it needs to be in a larger format... I understand that you may be dealing with dialup users... but it still needs to be larger.

How did the logo end up at the bottom of the sea... and Why?

Yep, that's it J.A.B Design Studio. By the way, if you check out my site at: www.jabdesignstudio.com, you'd see what I will be promoting through this intro.

Yes, I also believe that a bigger format is the way to go. I'm actually thinking of distributing it as one of those cd's that come shaped like a business card. I think you can fit up to 30 megabytes each (give or take a few).

Something else came to mind watching it a second time. When you're under water, the scene looks really clear, and its easy to forget that you are indeed underwater. I think if you included something in the background (like seaweed, or a fish, or shipwreck) that was partially obscured by the density of the water, it would really help finish the animation off and sell the idea that you're underwater. You know how you can see things faraway in the water because of the "murk"?

You might want to look at "Finding Nemo". I know that they spent a lot of time just looking at what real underwater scenes look like, and then settled on a stylized version.

For online demo intros a slightly shorter length should suffice. I suggest that you start off exactly as you have but really speed up the decent of the camera into a more forceful splash into the underwater world. Slow down the decent of the camera again to help simulate the feel of water resistance (maybe add in a little camera tilst/sway action too). Only spent 5 to 6 seconds on the logo before you fade out. Try to make the whole intro anywhere from 10 to 15 seconds only. If you need to it would be ok to go to about 20 seconds but then that may be too long also.

If you're going to be putting a VHS or DVD demo together for distribution to studios for potential work, then I suggest really reducing the intro to ONLY the logo. Fade in have the turlte swim in and out and fade out. 6 to 8 seconds max. Studios and recruiters go through a lot of reels and would fast forward right through lenthgy intros. Try to keep intros short yet memorable enough for demo reels. The meat of your work is what matters not how nice your name looks on the screen.

By the way your work on the intro was pretty good.

Cheers,

Dimos Vrysellas

Dimos: Thank you very much for your suggestions. This is exactly the kind of directing I was looking for. Timing, as you know is a very tricky thing. How do you know exactly how long something should be? I guess experience derived from a lot of trial and error, will give you a good sense of timing.

Your suggestions have given me a great way to look at it from a practical point of view as well as artistic. I mean, the thing about the camera accelerating through the descent and then slowing down to simulate the physics of the water, is fantastic! Thanks again.

Dimos: Thank you very much for your suggestions. This is exactly the kind of directing I was looking for. Timing, as you know is a very tricky thing. How do you know exactly how long something should be? I guess experience derived from a lot of trial and error, will give you a good sense of timing.

Your suggestions have given me a great way to look at it from a practical point of view as well as artistic. I mean, the thing about the camera accelerating through the descent and then slowing down to simulate the physics of the water, is fantastic! Thanks again.

No prob,

15 years in the industry and now starting my own studio helps in the "knowing" of these things.

Basic rule of thumb is a minimum solid 3 seconds per title or slate (not including fades). So for instance your logo seems to have three line of text "JAB Design Studios", so it theory it would take the average viewer approximately 3 seconds to see the image or text, read the text and absorb the info and then want to move on. If you look at most basic title or name slates the only last for 3 to 5 seconds. Of course adding some flair like animation and effects can help but too much or too long can turn off a potential client or employers.

Like I said before the MEAT of your work is more important then your name or title slate. Also it's a good idea to add a title or slate at the end of the demo that holds for a long time on your name and contact info only (about 20 seconds), no need for anything fancy. That way they don't have to rewind or go back to the beginning of the reel to get your info. They'll read it at the end, write it down and hopefully call you.

Of course when making your own film your logo can be longer to help meld into the project. For example, Dreamworks likes to incorporate there logo at the beginning of most animated films they produce, but for demo purposes short and sweet is better.

Good luck with your demo,

Dimos Vrysellas

So...I should write my contact info somewhere in the beginning and then again at the end. But specially at the end.

How do you suggest I should approach the demo reel if I'm promoting my services as a free-lance animator rather than for a permanent position in a Studio? I ask this because the target audience would be different. Since I'm freelancing, I will probably show this to potencial clients and maybe agencies (any ideas welcomed), instead of people already in the animation industry. Would it make a difference on what I show as well as how I show it?

I apologize for all the questions, but it isn't every day I have access to someone like you.;- )

So...I should write my contact info somewhere in the beginning and then again at the end. But specially at the end.

How do you suggest I should approach the demo reel if I'm promoting my services as a free-lance animator rather than for a permanent position in a Studio? I ask this because the target audience would be different. Since I'm freelancing, I will probably show this to potencial clients and maybe agencies (any ideas welcomed), instead of people already in the animation industry. Would it make a difference on what I show as well as how I show it?

I apologize for all the questions, but it isn't every day I have access to someone like you.;- )

No prob once again,

For your purposes have the long version of the opening title for your demo, but make it as short as possible (around 10 to 15 seconds at the most). Freelance and full time positon demos should be treated the same. Try to follow my original suggestion and see how that works. You don't need to put your contact info in the intro, just your logo (but that's up to you). I suggest your last title slate be a simple black background with your name at the top, mailing address and phone followed by your email address, in white using a simple, easy to read font. Put it right at the end of your reel and keep it on for a long time (at least 10 seconds). Highlight your name somehow. Then fade to black and Bob's your uncle!

Example,

[attachmentid=11568]

I'd like to have a gander at your demo once it's done. you got me all curious!

OH one more thing. Your demo should only contain your best work! DO NOT put everything and anything you have done. Always breakdown your demo as a lot of artist should their portfolios. Always put your best most recent work first and foremost, then fill in the middle with some other good stuff and end off with what you feel your second best work is. You have ot try and grab there attention right off with your best work and leave a good taste in their mouth at the end when it's all said and done. UNLESS you do a timeline thing then you put your most recent work first and end off with your oldest stuff. I uselually do the later because i like to show and see progression of work but a lot of folks like to see a demo that's broken down like I first mentioned. I hope that made sense.

By the way my suggestions are just based on my experience and practise. You do not have to follow anything I have said. It is your demo after all. If you feel you want to go a seperate direction than by all means, but I have learned that this is usually the best approach to demos and portfolios.

Hope I helped.

Dimos

post-288-1132796634_thumb.jpg

Ok. This is my first pass at trying to follow your direction. Now this was rendered using the H-264 codec, which means you have to have Quicktime 7 to view this. Tomorrow I'll post one in mpg4.

I was able to reduce it to about 29 seconds. I know, I know, still too long. I'm working on it.;- )[attachmentid=11824]

Intro_demoReel_Sequence_1_H.264_100Kbps_Streaming.mov

Better speed over-all but as you stated still a little too long.

Here are some more suggestions based on this version. Take them as you will, like I said before this is YOUR reel and the only thing I can offer you are ideas or suggestions of alterations that could benefit your reel.

1. camera jerks into a fast motion instead of gradually speeding up then splashing and slowing down in the water. I think you should quickly begin a fast decent into the water (gradually getting faster) before you hit the splash. Right now way too much time is spent looking at your boat model, which is nice, but not the focal point or main idea of the intro. If anything your name/logo should be the main focal point.
  2. when in the water the decent is fine but I would add a little rocking/swaying motion to help give the illusion of water resistance. I see you've attempted it a little but not yet as convincing as it could be.
  3. The turtle animation is too long. You can probably make it work better if he cautiously swam in to see what the commotion is about, have a look at the logo without swimming around it too much (as is now), make him look suprisingly into camera and speed out of scene and then end as you wish.

Try to keep it under 15 seconds (20 seconds max if need be). Again the most important part of the reel is your work after the title and not the title itself. The meat is what matters!

So far it's coming along nicely. I hope your having fun!

Dimos

First of all let me specify that these links are to the last animation that I posted. The difference is the size and the fact that I made one version using the divx codec (for those of you that don't have Quicktime 7).

This is the larger version for QT7. It's 842KB in size.

This is the .AVI animation. It is 448KB in size.

I am now working on the changes that Dimos suggested. Thanks for all your help. And, Yes I am having a blast.

:-)