sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Community Project: Mouth rig

So, I had this idea - it may crash and burn... but here it goes. I need to learn how to model and rig a mouth - and learn it well. I think I'm not the only one. I've been wowed by Victor's mouth rig, and David Simmons "Bertram's Face Rig". Trouble is there are no tuts out there to explain them. David has posted his files and some explanation but for a n00b like me - it's not enough - and I'm still not sure how to well design the MOUTH first (modeling wise) to get rigged well.

So I figured I'd make kind of a generic 'mask' face. I'd post it here - we can all iterate the model until we feel it's well done enough. Then I'll start trying to implement one of these boned mouth rigs. All along you can follow along, download the projects/models and (hopefully) help the process along.

The idea is when it's done, it's a fully operational mouth rig that anyone can use - and they can reference this very thread and see the process of how it has been built - almost like built in documentation/tutorial. It may not be as complex or intricate as Victor's/David's - but it will be something useful...hopefully.

So here it goes - my first attempt at the model mask - attached. (NOTE: It's not meant to be a stunning model - obviously - but functional for a rig.)

It needs some help :) My main question at this point is - is the mouth constructed right? I'm not sure. I've look at lots of models as a reference and I'm still not sure. Feel free to grab it, modify it and post back.

mouth_man.mdl

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, this went over like the proverbial 'led zeppelin'! :lol::blink::huh::mellow:

Nobody has any thoughts on the mouth construction? At any rate, I'll try and continue it myself and see where I get with it. If anyone wants to help/critique, feel free.

Nobody has any thoughts on the mouth construction? At any rate, I'll try and continue it myself and see where I get with it. If anyone wants to help/critique, feel free.

I have also done a lipsync tutorial not using bones - perhaps it can be something:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14010

The problem with this project I understand is that itsjustme are doing this in a sophisticated way - and it is hard work I belive - and he is going to do a tutorial and has already done some:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13963

Perhaps wait and see what is coming out...

But still I see this iniative as good - I believe - you can do some simple face rigging - mouth rigging - for some simple characters - you do not need all those possibilites always. So I hope someone good at rigging can give some tips about rigging a simple - face - mouth. Some kind of newbie rigging tips. And I believe their are many on the Forums that like to learn a little do it yourself rigging...

Because looking at Willis mouth rigging perhaps not that hard to understand - but there are some pro and cons doing a rigging - not known by everyone. And just how to begin - how to think before beginning - there are lots of questions about the basics in rigging...

Shaun Freeman has done something good on the Sigraphs Forum 2004 and it is on a CD - “Face Rigs with CP Weights”

Why cannot A:M let it out from the record? to the web... so we all can take part of it?

But there seems to be some difficult parts!

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?&act=ST&f=1&t=13454

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12633

Or perhaps do a new version of the tutorial a bit easier to understand?

There have to be some rigging expert to do this easy rig...

I would like to see some Donald Duck rig as a newbie rig - or Fat Guy rig for the mouth - just having nine mouth poses to do the lipsync and some other poses.

Stripped of as many splines as possible... a Newbie face...

:D

Looking at your head model - I believe it ought to be done in some other way - extrusions around the eyes splined together with an extrusion around the mouth...

The way I did it in my lipsynd-rig tutorial I believe is simpliest and best

but I am no expert... just a newbie master...