sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Tire Decaling... Thanks Hash for UV mapping!

A thread in New Users got me started on this. As usual, a lot harder than I thought.

Let me know what you think. The quest was for a semi-realistic tire. I think it is semi-realistic. It will bear up at the distance I think you would normally view a tire from. The perspectives from pictures, combined with how to flatten a half torus without having to then a paint banana shaped, regular pattern drove me nuts. Also, the subdivisions need to be regular, you can see what I did in the action within the project. Whatever. If I hadn't had the wonderful tutorial from William Sutton at Zandoria, I would not even had know what to try. What a great tutorial. If you want to read it, it is here

http://www.zandoria.com/uv.htm

I ended up breaking it into quadrants, and uv mapping it. If there is an easer way, SOMEONE LET ME KNOW!

I have attached a zip file, which assures me it is under 1 meg, so I hope it will post!

It would be fun to add decals to the sidewalls - "msfolly tire company" came to mind, but I am tired and through with this for now.

Feel free to use it. If you improve upon it, maybe you could send it back! If you want the cpt or psd file I used to paint the decals with, let me know...

Melissa

Tire.zip

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! PolyPhony Digital, tell us how you did that sweet mustang! Sorry. You could model grooves in. You could apply the decal as cylindrical? I'm not sure how well this works. Right click Application method>Cylindrical. I have no idea.

For the record I'm the guy who first asked for it, for my Mach 5 model.

I had taken a quick look at the VW Van on the disk, and he has nice tires on that - so maybe whoever did that model can step in and help (I'm sorry I have forgotten the name of the person who did it).

It looked like he had a side view of the tire as a decal/bump and a top view of the tread that somehow wrapped around, but I don't know how it was done :(