Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Q02 Contest Entry WIP

Since I enjoyed the most recent contest, I thought I would try a 'proper' entry, meaning that I have reference material and build an animatic, etc. Really try to go through as much of the established process as I can handle.

So, to start out with, my animatic:

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg724n/animatic.zip

Please let me know what you think. It's about a minute and a half long, but I do at least have my Typical Male to try and start out with.

Since the subject is 'mad,' there's one character I immediately thought of - I just needed to find an appropriate rant time.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks interesting so far!

That audio says 'anime' to me--what's it from?

Incidentally, you might consider using a different video codec next time. Just as an experiment, I re-compressed what you sent using the H.261 codec (which I think is compatible with a lot of players) and I wound up with a video track size of 1.3 MB, as opposed to your 11.5 MB. That was with keeping things at 30fps, too, which for an animatic is probably overkill--you could go down to 15fps. Sound compression I used IMA 4:1 and got a sound track at 1.8 MB vs. 7 MB.

Just something to think about. Means you can put the file up as a .mov instead of a .zip, too.

Zach

Yeah - I tried a few compressors, but everything seemed to really throw off the timing of the animatic - I tried to match a few of the sound effects and moments of dialogue to transition to different things. DivX really messed it up, as did Cinepak.

Of course, I also think a lot of the codecs on my computer are a little on the messed up side. Compression is something that I'm noticing a major need to work on getting down - any recommendations along with H.261? What tends to be your codec of choice for a wide audience?

Anyways, anime, yes. Dragonball Z, actually (it's kind of like cotton candy, you know it's crap but you partake every once in a while anyways).

Anyways, anime, yes. Dragonball Z, actually (it's kind of like cotton candy, you know it's crap but you partake every once in a while anyways).

Got that one right. ;)

Anyway, good to start off with a plan. That's something I rarely do (well, for 3D, at least). Make sure you share the end product with us. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after leaving this totally off to the side for a month, I finally get enough time to get my Typical Male model dressed for his first performance.

I just need to apply the Cog bones to the shirt CP's and he's ready to roll :D

Not sure whether or not I'll get around to adding textures to his pants and other such niceties... maybe once the animation is done:

theman.jpg