sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Middle Kid WIP

MiddleKid

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

---snip---

Good 3d appearance for the rest of the model. but the eyes seem totally flat.  Don't know what to do about it but I'd be interested if others have ideas.

---snip---

---snip---

why in the world does it take so long to render something with radiosity? 

What kind of video card do you have?

---snip---

blcrawf:

Yes, the eyes are a bit flat... I struggled with them for most of the day trying to get them to look right. Guess I'm still off a bit.

I think it's because of the non-spherical eyeball thingy... Um... The iris gets squashed along with the rest of the eyeball so when it gets close to the edge, it starts to look really strange. I'm not sure what to do about it other than avoid extreme angles.

-------

Joe Jacks:

The short answer: Because there's lots of math involved.

The long answer: http://www.ypoart.com/tutorials/Photon-Mapping.htm

I have a Ti-4200 video card... but that doesn't have anything to do with the final render.

I understand that your image is mainly a testing on radiosity! And it looks very nice. But I think a skylight would be a better idea. You could cut down rendering times and still get a simular look with it.

Also I think radiosity is pritty useless when it comes to animation, except for backround work. (I may be wrong on this one.)

Still I have not found a use for radiosity in my working experience with A:M. On the other hand I would like to see more Final Gathering options. Not unlike what Mental ray offers. I would have use for that. For reference take a look at this FG

BTW. Yves Poissant's has some nice skylight on his web

fjalar -

Yes, this was mainly a test to sort of "kick the tires" on the new radiosity renderer. For still images it works great, but for animation the render times are prohbitive. I've used skylights for quite a while and 99% of the time they work great. Usually I setup a standard lighting scheme and then throw in a skylight rig for that added touch.

I would love to see something similar to final gathering in A:M, especially if it would cut down on rendering times - but I have a feeling that Yves will keep working on radiosity for the time being.

For still images it works great, but for animation the render times are prohbitive.
It´s not just the rendering times with radiosity the is a problem with animation, there is also a shadow flicker. You get the same flickering thing with some of the FG gethering solution like MR, but then you have often the choice to bake light maps into the texture maps.

I would love to see something similar to final gathering in A:M, especially if it would cut down on rendering times

I have used and seen what MR and Brazil can do and both renders are very fast with FG(GI). Hope that Yves will look into this later on for A:M. Looks like he´s doing a very good job on the A:M render now.