Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Animation

Wolf

What is the best way to start or Plan an animation short?

Would I get the backgrounds, props and etc. set up first?

Or do the animation first and add the other stuff later?

Also is it better to do a shot by shot animation and render it all together later?

Which Programs (I.E. Photoshop Vegas, Illustrator) are best for this type of animating?

I know :blink: Lots of questions, and probably 10 times as many answers, but I need a little suggestive help to find the best way for me to get an organized approach to starting and completing an animation.

Any tuts out there would be helpful too.

Thanx :rolleyes:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is how I do my shorts ....

1) Come up with a story or an idea for a short ... This includes the script, characters, props, type of scenes you might need.

2) Start creating (on paper) what these things characters, props, scenes might look like.

3) Record any dialog you might need.

4) Storyboard your idea (on paper nothing real fancy) the camera angles, character facial expressions, timing.

5) Model, texture, and rig the character(s) taking into account your character's design, what facial expressions they will need, how they will move (rigging).

6) Model the props and scenes.

7) Start animating.

8) Render the animation. Personally I would render the animations as individual TGA files and then combine later inside a separate editing program. But A:M can also render out MOV files if you don't have any editing software. A:M can also double as a basic editing tool if needed.

9) Load the TGA files into a editing program ... add your dialog ... sound effects .. music ... titles/credits ... any screen fades or wipes ... then save out as a compressed movie file ... AVI, MOV, MPEG ... this will depend on your editing program.

10) Sit back and enjoy.

Of course along the way you will bang your head against the wall, pull out handfuls of hair, curse at the monitor, lose sleep, and wonder why the heck you are doing this .... but in the end you will have something that YOU created and can be proud of. Don't worry though because the experience you gain from creating it can be applied to your next great short thus making that one even better. :)

Good luck!

Bruce (the wedgee guy)

www.pencilwedgees.com