Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Beveling leads to banding in model surface...

edlundart

I'm working on this very abstracted female model. I'm beveling all the edges. The problem I'm having is that, due to the beveling, I've got some spline "rings" that are very close to each other, and they're creating subtle bands in the surface of the model. In the attached image, you see an example right where the left leg joins the torso. Is there anything I can do to avoid this? I am aiming to animate with this character.

post-10445-1171338620_thumb.jpg

I guess I could get rid of it if I peaked everything, but then I don't think I'd be able to smoothly curve things when animating (right?).

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Patches are smoothest when the cp's are evenly spaced. Bunching them up in pairs tends to lead to creasing. Zoom in really tight on any of the short vertical splines marked a or b in the attached image. You'll find that their shapes are causing the creasing. You'll have to adjust their bias to get a smooth transition.

You may want to try deleting the second horizontal spline marked c and adjusting the magnitude and bias of the vertical splines in that area to achieve the desired shape.

You may also want to try using hooks to reduce the length of the two vertical splines marked d. There's no reason for them to run the length of the torso.

splines.jpg

I think the best approach might be to redraw the model from the frontside keeping the old as a roto, draw the shape with lesser CPs, after extruding the shape, changing bias to 20-30% instead of 100% with for instance the leg-area will keep it smooth and abstract.

Niels

ps.

You could do the beveling while extruding and let the bias be at 100%...

[EDIT] I dunno if it's true, but I think the 'different' look is created through subdivision of the patches ergo, 10:10=1 while 88:10=8.8

Thanks for the advice, both of you! Rodger, I had been thinking about trying hooks. I think I'll give that a go tonight. I was advised against it by others when modeling this, but it does seem like it might avoid the creasing in the torso and might also help out with a more subtle issue up in the chest area. Your attached image is appreciated, I'll study it some more tonight.

C-grid, your approach is an interesting take, and sounds really great if I wasn't going to animate this. But since I am, wouldn't the frontside extrusion method result in too few CP's to use when rigging, considering I want each leg, for example, to bend smoothly?

As for the bias adjustments, I think those would result in edges that are somewhat rounded (good), but flat surfaces that are somewhat curved rather than straight (not good). But I am new to the program and might be misunderstanding what you're saying.

If anyone has further thoughts, please feel free to share!