sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Spanish Lipsync

TiTo

Hi....

I'm currently working on animating speech in spanish....

where can I find info on it???

That is phoneme poses for spanish and would I have to build a spanish dictionary file???

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is phoneme poses for spanish

The phoneme pose set, widely known as the Preston Blair set can be used for many languages.

Yes, there will be different characters to a particular phoneme-pose, this is a per language difference.

The alternative is get a mirror, or a camcorder and after recording, decide which of the phonemes you will use and thus how many.

and would I have to build a spanish dictionary file???

Yes, I could not find any info on the 'extra-script' they used in the dictionary that came with A:M, but I managed well to do even so in my 'own' language.

Niels.

ps.

I read somewhere, I believe it was coming from Shaun Freeman, that serious lipsync, is no dopesheet-work but is 'craftmanship'; The eye of how a ball can roll or better, how the ball will roll.

I would only consider using the dope sheet approach for crowd scenes, where the audience isn't following any one particular character, and where accuracy and expression aren't all that important. For the central characters, however, I would much rather spend the time hand-tweaking the lipsynch in order to get it right. When your main character is speaking, your audience will be watching the mouth (well, it will be if I'm the audience!), so it's important for the mouth to look like it's really speaking what the audience hears.

Thanx for the quick feedback.....

I'm not spending that time building my spanish dictionary anymore....

I hope that if you guys are ever in my audience, you'll believe my character is really speaking...

I'm not spending that time building my spanish dictionary anymore....

If you can find enough spanish users, maybe you will be able to setup a common spanish-dictionary file.

Of course moderated here and there that the phoneme-poses are correct.

I hope that if you guys are ever in my audience, you'll believe my character is really speaking...

Well, I don't recall thinking Preston Blair-animations had lousy lipsync, and I'm not specifically a great fan of Bart Simpson, but when I do watch, I don't disturb myself thinking 'lousy lipsync, lousy lipsync'.

Things, of course, did change over time, and the newer generation realism-3D-'cartoons' using just a small set of phonemes may look a little funny, on the other hand, film that is respoken, recorded and edited in native-language, that audience will probably don't notice anything strange or weird.

Niels.