bad spline continuity

stumblebum

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The best example of spline continuity is the case where two splines meet at a CP. Having the splines cross each other is better continuity for A:M's purposes than if the splines meet but don't cross (i.e. they approach each other, touch at the CP, and then turn back to the side they came from, rather than crossing). This kind of continuity problem often hides itself for peaked splines, as it's really not apparent then.

If you make sure your splines cross you're less likely to end up in the position where you get a patch made up from just one spline, which will result in it not rendering (this is a feature by design, not a bug). That said, not so long ago I still got such a patch hole even though all my splines crossed properly.

Also, you'll probably get better results if, where splines cross (or at T-junctions) they do so as square-on to each other as possible. This isn't always possible - you usually need to make compromises somewhere along the way.