Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Surface Constraints?

Kring

Hi Folks!

When I first looked at KeeKat i thought the character had oblong eyes and the pupils were constrained to the surface, upon closer inspection I see that the eyeballs are round and the pupils are constrained to a given space.

I have a character that has oblong shaped eyes and i either need to constrain the pupil to the surface or create a textures of pupils that I can aim with nulls.

I have included a diagram of the current problem I have with the surface constraints. Although the pupil rotates around the eyeball, the surface of the pupil (image1) never seem attached (image 2,3) my only solution was to add depth to the pupil to create a illusion of uniformity(image 4).

Is there away to constrain the surfaces of both objects to each other so they appear to be attached?

The other method would be creating decals with a slight bump or displacement that I can move around with Nulls, is there a way to do this?

thanks!

:blink:

-Kevin

post-7-1069786931.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When doing somehting like this(eyes for example) you just have to make your main obeject spherical in the modeling mode and align the second object that you want to move so that it touches the surface. Then you add one main bone that controls everything, one bone that controls the half sphere and one child bone that controls the second object. Now all you have to do is make a pose and scale the main bone.

Hmmm, thanks for your input. I seem to have all those elements, from what i understand that is what i was essentially doing in image 1,2. My main problem is that the eyeball mesh and the pupil mesh never seem to unite. The pupil always feels as if its toggling on the eyeball. I was hoping I could actually constrain the surfaces of each object, not just tangency of the bones. I guess I will have to create a workaround. Once again thanks for feedback.

I tried making a half sphere for both the eyeball and pupil, then after adding bones and constraints deformed the spheres in action to get the and then scaled on Z. It worked nicely. Although this is a workaround, the results are workable for my needs.

thanks natess44.

-Kevin