sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Solving the Squared Wy

Yves Poissant's Primitives page has this to say about the Squared Wy: "Note that this primitive is not completed. There is a 6 point patch in the center and I did not find an elegant and satisfactory way to close it. If anybody finds an elegant solution, I would be glad to hear about it." Here's my offering as to a possible solution. Anyone else have a good one? I think the underlying problem with this shape is that there is not elegant way to do it in the real world. Take a lump of clay and try it, you'll see what I mean. My method is far from elegant, but it works. Then again, does anyone even use any of the primitives besides the cube?

-Zev

Squared_Wy.mdl

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jandals

I changed your solution by deleting the ring and closeing the 5-point patches that remained. After adjusting a few CP bias handles it holds up a little better.

I use the sphere primitives frequently but not many of the others. Unless I specifically need a primitive shape it's counterproductive for me to start a model with a primitive and then modify it.

Squared_Wy.mdl

This looked like a fun puzzle, so I gave it a shot. Here's what I came up with. What do you think? elegant enough?

But yea, I only really ever use the spheres in terms of primitives. that's about it. I think I've used the cube once. but that was before I could model a cube. so... yea.

y_Cube.mdl