sprockets Shelton's new Char: Hans It's just donuts by ItsJustMe 3D Printing Free model: USS Midnight Rodger Reynolds' 1950s Street Car Madfox's Pink Floyd Video Tinkering Gnome's Elephant
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

in need of a curtain call

lazz

I'm trying to make an opera scene, and all is going well, but, I don't know how to go about making good curtains that can open and close like real ones would on a stage. Does anyone know how I could go about doing this? Thanks!

-Robert Lazzarini

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly is the difficulty? This seems rather easy to me, so I may be missing writing to the difficulty you're facing.

For a side-opening type, think about it from the top view... that wavy line shape to it? Model that spline- then pull it up with enough geometry to deform as you want it to. I'd rig it with bones going from the top down - not sure how many strings of bones like this I'd add, it depends on the size. I'd have these "tail like" bones bunched closer together near the center part, with them spread out more toward the stage wings. That way you can "swish" the bottoms when you take the curtains in and out.

I would not simulate it with cloth, but that's just me- I like control. However, curtains could easily be simmed by the cloth capabilities in AM, IMO.

I've built some curtains for windows in my current short. They move around in a "breeze" and for those I actually used cloth sim. But I've also got a few curtains for windows that I control with bones. It really depends on how much control you want/need for the scene you have in mind.