sprockets Live Answer Time Home Page Featured Free Models spotlight Rigged Spider Tinkering Gnome's Workshop
sprockets
Recent Posts | Unread Content
Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

how to add material & set object parameters

patter59

hi- i have 2 questions for the group.

i want to add my own material to the library but what format can i use? what is ".mat"? i'd like to add a photoshop file: jpg or bmp or ?. can i?

and- if i want to create a cube with specific dimensions- can i do that? if so, where do i specify that?

thanks much

patter

<_<

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Patter,

".mat" files are procedural materials which cannot be created in Photoshop. What you have created in Photoshop is more accurately called a texture. These are applied as decals (they can aslo be used as bump and displacemnet maps, etc). See either the Fighter modeling exercise or the Giraffe modeling exercise in The Art of Animation Master. Texture files are typically stored in folders and added to the project under Images (Right Click > Add New Image)

Have fun!

Scott

thanks Scott

i'm used to using 3DSmax so i skipped over the reference to decals. i will revisit that.

can you or anyone answer about the parameters? how do you get precision in AM?

p

Patter,

".mat" files are procedural materials which cannot be created in Photoshop. What you have created in Photoshop is more accurately called a texture. These are applied as decals (they can aslo be used as bump and displacemnet maps, etc). See either the Fighter modeling exercise or the Giraffe modeling exercise in The Art of Animation Master. Texture files are typically stored in folders and added to the project under Images (Right Click > Add New Image)

Have fun!

Scott

There should be a folder with primitives in it. These are not parametric objects like in a polygon program. If you are making a cube with a certain size for the reason of using it as a cube, I would suggest taking the primative and scaling it. If you are using a cube as a starting point for modeling (a la a polygon program), then you probably need to go back over the modeling exercizes to get a better feel for spline modeling. Spline modeling is more like edge extrusion rather than face manipulation.

Welcome to the world of A:M!

Scott

all i wanted to make at this point was some models of packaging for the company i'm working at. it would have been nice to just specify the dimensions of the boxes. but i can use the cube primitive and scale it to be close. then i can apply the decals so it looks like actual product.

thanks again!

wish me luck!