Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Hermione - New Character WIP

Just started modelling a new character starting with the face and head. The only render to date is the model decaled with the roto rendered in front of the roto. A little bit of a cheat, I know, but I haven't built the eyes, hair or rest of the head as yet - and I have yet to learn how to properly decal a head! Wireframe has been posted as well.

http://higginsdj.250free.com/wips.htm

Cheers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can see, you seem to have captured hermione head and face structure pretty well. Good work.

On another note, concerning your Cornell Rendered heroine, You should use a completely closed box for this type of render. Especially since part of her suit is highly reflective, we see black spots at those reflection angles.

Thanks Yves, One thing I have learnt this time round is not just to try to model the face from front and side view but from top and bottom view as well but the quality of the rotos helped as well.

The decal is just a straight forward position and apply in the front on model window. The decal itself, however, was not the original roto. It is the side of the roto that I modeled from, cut from the original and paste flipped and joined (just like I did with the face mesh)

I also found it interesting that copy flip attach also did the same thing to the applied decal. Shame it doesn't re-group adding the centre spline though. This was what gave me the idea of doing the copy flip to the roto and re-apply sicne it looked quite good. The original roto didn't fit both sides of the face as Emma/Hermione was facing slightly away from the camera.

I have to admit that practise/practise/practise is the key to this. Hermiones face only took about 4 hours to get to this stage from scratch. I remember by last 2 effors (Leelu 2000, Morgan 2001) took considerably longer and I had to apply porcelain to Leelu to iron out all the bumps (and she still looks liek she's wearing a mouthguard :P ). I haven't had to do that with Hermione (yet)

I used the Coop Face tute this time round to guage the splinage (I tend to put in too many splines)

Cheers

Well Hermione now has a head but I need the scale/shape checked since her large mass of hair only allows me to guestimate the size/shape.

I tried making ears but failed dismally so she is wearing a pair of Eds ears :D

hermioneSideHead.jpg

Cheers

One thing I have learnt this time round is not just to try to model the face from front and side view but from top and bottom view as well but the quality of the rotos helped as well.

A couple 3/4 views will also help with the cheek bone and the maxilaire. You can open the image in A:M interface by double-clicking on the image in teh Images container. You can keep the image beside the modeling window and adjust with both windows side by side.

Here is the near completed head model with rough decals. The 'hood' was supposed to be hair but it didn't work out right - I might leave it as a hood.

Hermione000.jpg

Face isn't quite right. Fixing the Decal may help but I think it will do! I might leave it as a hood and start working on the body next.

Cheers

Normally I don't feel qualified to comment on character modeling but I am struck by how much your Hermione looks like one of the synthespians from "Polar Express"; that same sort of not-quite-dead look in the eyes.

Considering the gobs of money (I assume) Zemeckis lavished upon his models, the fact that you're even close using A:M (in a few hours!) just further reinforces my opinion that when it comes to CG, Hollywood spends money just to "one up" the last CG intensive production with no thought whatsoever about the law of diminishing returns.

Thanks guys (I think) :rolleyes:

I'm not overly happy with the eyes and I just can't seem to get hair to work in v11 (at least not by following the Siggraph 2003 demo) and haven't got the patience/time to complete it in 10.5 (where it does work)

I'll donate this model to the hash community as soon as I can find somewhere to post it so someone else can have a go at improving on it.

Cheers

Wow! Donate it? That is very generous of you!

Again, amazing model. It is coming along really well. The only thing i think might make it look more like her would be to bring in the chin a little bit. It looks a bit strong now. But... I am more of a cartoony modeller myself, so... haha I'm not really complaining. Nice work!

-Andrew