Hash, Inc. Forums

News Show Opener

Hey there,

I am working on an opener for a short 5-min. news show that will begin in January. I am playing around with an idea for the opener.

Shaded Render

The idea is that the initial screen will have the title of the show and as the camera flies past all the subsequent screens they will each have various clips featuring shots of the anchors, b-roll from the area and of course corresponding audio as the screens whip past.

Then I was thinking the big tower thingy at the end (which has screens...it's just hard to see them right now) would have a "5...4...3..2..1" countdown on the screens as the camera flies past and then some kind of explosion/flash/transition thingy as the camera reaches the top of the tower.

So, input about the concept, the camera move/speed, the blocking/layout and also what kind of setting/textures/particles/lighting would really make this kickin.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Here is a picture showing what it might look like rendered...I mocked this up in Photoshop with the pictures...

This was originally what I was envisioning..the white/crisp setting with a slightly reflective floor etc.

However, now I'm wondering if a darker/moodier setting with volumetric lights etc. might be more exciting/appealing.

P.S. The screens are not textured and the big tower thingy had not been built when I rendered this shot.

Thanks for any input!

post-7-1101934536.jpg

Hey, I really like what you've done, great concept! In my opinion I'd stay with the clean white look over the other you suggested. (just keep the white within safe broadcast standards ;) ) Looking forward to seeing more!!

I think a darker opening animation is kind of the norm now with big news opening animations... but I don't know... I guess you just have to think of what complements the tone of this news show you are doing it for. Maybe the photoshop picture you already did is the right idea.

I imagine the slower movement of the camera might be more exciting when all the little t.v. screens are showing video, but still, could it maybe be a tiny bit faster? It seems like a kind of long intro for a show that only lasts 5 minutes.

Anyway, apart from my petty criticism, I think it looks good! Looking forward to a textured render!

-Andrew

Thanks for the input guys!

Littleandy, I know what you are saying about all the news openers pretty much having a darker tone to them...that's part of the reason I was contemplating a different look. But I do like the white look, I think it is different and has an upbeat feel to it.

Here is an updated render (it doesn't have depth of field, pictures, textures etc.). I wanted to show a render with the big tower in the shot. I added in some fog to give it a sense of scale...thoughts?

What would you suggest as far as textures for the screens? Towers? I would like to keep it fairly simple so that it doesn't distract too much from the images on the screen.

How much more structural detail should I add in on each (screens/tower)?

I plan on tweaking the camera move some more. It does seem a bit jerky but I dont' want to simplify the motion too much or slow it down too much because I don't want to lose the viewers to boredom either.

I may end up shortening it a little but I think once the images are on the screens and all the audio is mixed in I think it will seem to go by much faster.

post-7-1101942620.jpg

I really like your second render. Very stylish and cool. It reminds me of the set on Willy Wonka (when the little boy is being shrunk).

I think that it will serve its purpose to draw the viewer's attention to what's on the screens but that is too bad cuz this set is so cool !

Doug

Cool animation, very professional!

How much more structural detail should I add in on each (screens/tower)?

You shouldn't need to add any further details to the screens, given that they are already showing images and are not on screen for long.

As you're planning a countdown and flash from the tower I'd complete the effect before considering extra tower detail.

It sounds like the viewers attention will be focused on relatively small area so extra detail may not be needed.

Good luck and keep posting! :D

Yea man, that looks like it'll be turning out really cool! So this is for a news openeing? How did you get to do that? I'd like to start figuring out how to (at least one day) do jobs for people like that. It'd be fun. So, do you like sign a contract thing or what? Just curious. Anyways, that's coming out great! Keep it up!

-Robert Lazzarini

Wow guys, thanks for all the replys!

I've attached an updated render of a frame. I messed with the fog settings a bit, put an image on the screens to see how that will look (in the final render they will all have different video clips of the various anchors/broll etc.) and textured the space station thingy a bit (I'm very technical...can you tell?). :-D

Regarding the camera roll...I've had different responses...some people say they like it and others think it will be too distracting. I've actually smoothed out the roll a bit, it's not as jerky but it is still there. I think on Monday when I get back to work I will post a shaded version with and without the camera roll and ya'll can tell me which one you prefer.

To respond to Roberts request, the answer is probably not quite as exciting as you might have hoped. :rolleyes: I actually work for the City where I live and they hired me full-time as a video producer/director. I kind of one-man-band most of the production stuff just beacause we have a fairly small staff (5 people) and a lot of different productions we do. I really enjoy using A:M and just learned it on my own but I have found several uses for it in my current job. No one else in the office does any 3D so they are excited about having that option now. When I told them about A:M they were blown away and several people in the office are considering buying it now! We have Lightwave on a computer but it has been too complex for anyone to learn... :lol:

Anyway, hope that answers your question. It's not quite as exciting as me doing freelance...I wish it were. Maybe someday I'll get enough confidence up to start my own production company... :-)

Thanks for the input guys!

post-7-1102170773.jpg

Ok ya'll,

Here are three shaded renders.

One with a lot of camera roll:

Lots O' Roll

One with a little camera roll:

A Little Roll

One with no camera roll:

No Roll at All

Let me know which you think is better. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have the footage I need to map on the screens and we can see a "final" render.

Also, I'll try and post a final version with audio and everything once it is done so you guys can see how it turned out.

Thanks for all the input so far!

I definately prefer the examples with roll but after viewing these over and over I feel that there is something unnatural in the synchronisation of the roll to the forward motion of the camera after the first screen and up to the 5th or 6th screen. I can't put my finger on it but, to me, it feels like we slow down slightly just as we have gathered speed. It's not a big thing. Looking forward to seeing it with live screens! :)

Allright, allright...I can take a hint! ;)

Less is more I guess. I agree that the rolls do feel a little off...I think it is related to when the rolls occur...I think I have the camera rolling a little too early. Also, I think the speed of the roll is a little off. I get the feeling it should be a little bit faster.

We will be shooting some of the promotional footage with our anchors tomorrow so hopefully I can have a version up with video clips in the next few days.

Any more critiques are welcome. Thanks!

I agree that the one with little roll is better. In my opinion you could maybe back off the roll on it just a bit more though. Also the camera seems to start with a nice smooth accleration and then sort of jump to speed. Maybe you could smooth that out just a bit? Over all it looks pretty nice and professional!

I personally like the one with a lot of role. But as mentioned the roll doesn't quite match the rest of the camera movement. Might I suggest doing a search on google for some hanging roller coaster footage. It may help you get the feeling of movement you're after. Looking awesome though!!! Very nice idea!

Yes, finally some people who like the "Lots O' Roll"!!! I think it is so much more exciting! But of course I don't want to make my old viewers sick...or do I?? ;-)

I think I am going to play around with the timing of the roll...I like the suggestion of watching roller coaster footage...I think I might try to find some flying footage to watch as well.

I am going to try and finish this whole thing including adding in video clips to the screen, music, sound effects etc. by Monday.

I'll keep you guys posted. I might post one last shaded render for critiques on the camera movement.

Thanks.

why not try a combination of both the little role version with some lot of role version thrown into it. Also try offsetting the rotation keys from the translation keys of the camera plus or minus 4 to 8 frames (or more if necessary). Just a thought.

Nice stuff though. real nice.

Dimos

Arrrgh! I have some kind of weird camera glitch now. It looks like the camera is having an epileptic seizure as it goes down the path.

Anyone know why it is doing this?

Stupid Camera Problem

I transferred all the files from my laptop to my desktop, opened the file and it immediately gave me this problem. I have tried deleting the camera and adding a different one. I've tried deleting and re-adding constraints etc.

Is this a bug and if so, is there a workaround?

Thanks for any help. :angry:

:rolleyes:

Aside from one being a laptop and one being a desktop, they are almost identical. Both 2.x Ghz Pentium processors with 512mb of RAM etc.

I tried everything I could think of last night and I couldn't get the problem to go away. Even when I brought in a totally new camera and applied it to the path it would still jump around like crazy.

I've checked all my keyframes on the camera, the path constraint ease, etc. just to make sure something didn't get bumped/added and everything looks fine.

Any help is appreciated!