Hash, Inc. Forums

Another Super Hero I'm working on

cfree68f

• Admin

Love those 360 turnarounds. :)

Like you I don't care for the color I'd guess but what ya gonna do.

I can't help but think yellow would work in this case a bit more than red/orange. Maybe even gold.

Your Superheroes are cool regardless... so you've impressed me!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well he took a direction I don't particularly like, but I'm stuck with it till I can redo him after the project is done.

Ah! The joy of doing commisionned work :D

I think we can all go over the particulariries of what was imposed to you and still appreciate the mastery you've put into the model. Good work.

I just thought of something...

You could have told the client that he needs to wear a "cup" to protect him from the "bad guys".

I've often wondered if super heros are vulnerable in that "area". They tend not to wear much protection, and you never see the villains take a cheap shot. They will, however, tie them to a machine that will laser them into a million pieces.

I like this. Turned out very well indeed!

Vernon "Not wearing a cup" Zehr

Thanks for letting us in on this Colin.

Just a reminder on these turnarounds:

If you really want to see the 3d effect pop out,

turn on loop, play it at double speed,

and put a dark lense (one sun glass lense) over your right eye

(the eye that the front rotation is moving toward).

Old trick, and works beautifully with TV football games too. ;)

Dan (you can call me dan) RJ

• 2 weeks later...

Here he is in a pose.. Still putting the finishing touches on the rigging but its coming along well.

Rendezvous.jpg

Thanks for the idea with the 360s nimblepix... I'll have to try that.

Man I can't wait to get this guy on my own and make him what I really want him to be.

Thanks for all the input guys.

C

I guess shouldn't mention that I met John Byrne at his home many moons ago... :D

Oh, yeah, I have an original drawing of the Thing he did for me for my birthday. Again, many moons ago.

Loooong story. One day...

Least I forget...egads! What a great model.

Tony

Man......amazing.....

Just seeing that pose makes me want to quit work so I can stay home and watch the cartoon... :-D

Great work! And if you aren't happy with it now I can't wait to see it once you have put your own look to it!

Keep it up...

Admirer,

D. Piatt

i just started A.M not to long ago, an seeing what everyone is able to do with this program is indeed my drive to be at your guys lvl.

the last shot of the model looks great. always a nice look when you ad the char on an angle an make it seem like it wants to leap off the page.. very nicely done. :D

Excellent work, Colin. The modeling, the rigging, the pose. Great!

IMHO, the only thing that could be improved upon would be the lighting. Right now my eye focuses on his well-lit foot more than any other area. I would like to see more of the edge lighting on the rest of the figure, too.

Thanks for posting your progress. It's very motivating.

Jim

One more,

started playing. Now this was fun! That scale armor is hair by the way :D

Cap.jpg

I know the lighting is iffy.. but I'll get around to fixing it. I'm thinking of playing with Yves sky rig.. but This one took a while to get to render.. something with hair and large files with shadow maps.

Thanks for all the kind words, There like gas in my engine ;)

C

wow! Thanks Yves! coming from you thats very high praise indeed!

Which material are you referring to? I'll be glad to clue you in. The lighting is just common backlighting, and shadow maps cranked up.. Raytracing looks better, but I'm not ready to commit to a long render yet.

Thanks again! That made my day.

C

Yes, right. That's the one. Did you post process in photoshop to get that sort of highlights and gradients on the blue suit like you did for your first post of him or is this done with gradient materials or something? The fingers and the hands are stunning. And very nice use of colors.

Thanks guys,

Yep Yves, That one was post processed. I did get something close to it in AM.. but there was a catch.. No color decals with Toon shading... at least not over a gradient surface. So no color in the gloves. but its doable with toon shading if you can loose the color decals.

You could probably right a material to do the same thing. Its very similar to what I've seen some materials doing.. in that you can take the out put of a specific part of the image and use it to modify the same part. Gradients, inverted, and composited over with a difference effect, shift the hue 180, and composite that over again with another filter (depends on the desired look)..

Your skin shader is part of the way there I believe.. if you could add gradients to the inputs.. It would be there I think. Or the ability to add gradients to specific parts of a surface.. (diffuse, spec, ambient, reflection, etc)

Thanks again guys. I've got big plans for this guy.

C

Colin: Brutally honest? Okay....

(stares at it for several minutes....)

Wait, I'll find something.....

(stares for several more minutes...)

Damn...hold on....

(gets a gallon of eyedrops...)

Er, well...the fingernail outlines look a little odd? Maybe? (God, that's weak...)

(mutters and paces...)

Oh, forget it. Best. A:M Picture. Ever.

There. Happy now? :P

Wow, I saw this character a few pages back and was impressed. Now he looks even better!

I love the real/unreal use of lighting. It is creative but believable.

The only crit that I can think of is that there could perhaps be some gloomy shadow under the arms - particularly his left forarm.

Other than that it is stunning!

Excellent muscles definition and deformation. And there is a lot of attention to lighting too.

The only thing that bothers me a little is he look like he's got a belly. I think it might be because the plexus and the front torax region decends too low but I'm not sure.

BTW, that would be an excellent pose to output in stereo.

Oooo! Oooo! I got a crit!!! *Holds it up like the golden ticket* :D

On the image where you're looking up his nose, his nostrils look a little thick at the base. Of course it could be the light/angle/his genetic makeup....but I doubt it!!! ;):D

Great pose, looking better all the time. :D

One suggestion, I think he may look better with one hand open rather than both clenched. I think it would work best on the trailing hand. Like he's going to punch then grab, or grab and punch if front is unclenched.

Looks great though.

Mike

The righteous anger is definately showing now. I agree with the hand thing, but because of the anger I think it should be the back hand that stays fisted. It shows alot more emotion with the back fisted in my opinion.

By the way, it looks great!

First off.... this is great! Excellent work, no doubt about it.

My feeling on the pose is that the hero is about to totally punch something or someone out.

If that's the case, I think that the shoulder of the punching fist, or the fist that is getting wound up behind him....his right fist...Okay...

That shoulder should be scrunched up closer to the neck....

I can't tell from that angle but it looks like it's more in a nuetral position.

I might be wrong?

Excellent stuff!

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

Here's some more.. not sure about the power punch. He'll have some sort of Power.. not sure about the binary code... I do like the glow on him though.

I realized I'd put the teeth on him with no specular hilite.. I knew something bugged me about them.

I'm gonna keep both fist. I like the pose and I'll admit I tried it with the front hand open, but it wasn't as good, I thought.

Mike, That shoulder is up and back actually. The extreme camera angle makes it hard to see, but He's already dislocating in a few spots.. I should post a side shot to show the extreme nature of this pose. Its actually a funny idea. We should take old comics and match the poses. Then show how silly the heros look from different views in the same pose.

Anyway.. Here is the fixed pose.

MIPower.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys. Its really helped alot.

C

It works as it is. But you wouldn't just open the forward fist. You would need to rotate his wrist up and vary his finger arches. Also the angle of his forearm is wrong for this. Try punching yourself.....that doesn't sound right ;).....punch the air.

• Admin

Colin,

I've been looking at your pose... studying... experimenting.

I broke out the markers...

I tested on Dex and Shaggy characters...

One thing for certain... dynamic (superhero) posing isn't easy to do. :blink:

The reason I keep looking at it with a confused eye is that the energy of the punch doesn't seem to be flowing correctly.

I think this may be one of the cases where the rule of right arm back/right leg forward might give way for the sake of setting up for the big power punch.

Look at it this way.

A lot of comic book shots show the hero 'after' the punch with what they hit in a reaction pose. There isn't an impact. That is created in the mind of the reader.

In the case of your hero he is preparing to punch. If you use your pitcher example(and he's right handed) both right arm and right leg start at the back with the character left side, left leg and left arm facing the batter. As he begins his pitch the right arm arcs up and forward and his leg follows...

Where the right leg moves to the forward position would be 'after' the punch as he pushes his fist and following arc of energy 'through' the target. By stepping forward with the punch more energy flows into to the punch from the motion of his body.

This is hard stuff!

I'm off to check out the poses by making a fool out of myself flailing at the air.

Sure glad no one is around to see me. :blink:

The pose looks awesome as it is... just something not quite right.

The fact that you are having to fake parts of it is hinting at something. If you approach it from the animating point of view with an eye for where his pose will be when his punch goes through the target that might reveal some interesting things.

-Rodney