Jack West animation

Elisa Llamido Narrator

Far Star Teaser 1

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! It certainly has a very high quality look to it and an epic feel. Obviously you don`t give too much away here ( it is a teaser trailer after all ) but it looks great.

The music and narration are excellent too. I can`t wait for more :D

Well done to everyone that worked on it.

Dale.

Very nicely done. My only complaint is that as a teaser, it doesn't do its job for me; it doesn't leave me wanting more. It looks more like a technical piece from the Discovery Channel than an entertaining film. A couple characters interacting would be a lot more interesting and (depending how well it's written and animated) make me want to watch more.

But if it's not a real "teaser" per se and you're just showing the A:M community the work so far, kudos. It's looking great and I can't wait to see more.

Very nicely done. My only complaint is that as a teaser, it doesn't do its job for me; it doesn't leave me wanting more. It looks more like a technical piece from the Discovery Channel than an entertaining film. A couple characters interacting would be a lot more interesting and (depending how well it's written and animated) make me want to watch more.

Good point. A teaser would have a cliff hanger ending. For example showing some sort of threat as the ship moves off. Allow people to create their own story of what might happen.

Another small thing would be to add abit of space dust in front of the ship. Right now, there's nothing to give it a sense of scale. DoF and dust might convey that better.

The actual ship design is great. I'd like to see some more things to break up the straight parts though.

The above are just thoughts to perfect(IMO) something that's already cool....

That's looking Sweeeet Jack! Just watched your teaser trailor. With some minor composit rendering that metal could look real. That was very cool.

I agree that you need to put it out there for others to see and where you can also get more feedback on it.

Another thing you may want to consider is that right now you have one animation property. It's a good idea to have five or six small properties that could be turned into either episodes, minis, or a feature. So when you go into that pitch session if they are not warming up to one property you might have another property that fits what they are looking for.

Also, your team could be doing television commericals and other advertising projects to bring in some cash.

A specific Hash animation that turned into a viable television property was Petey and Jaydee from Momentum Animations. They make a great case study for doing it successfully.

With the team you have you can definitely make it happen.

Frank Silas

http://www.franksilas.com

:ph34r:

From the teaser you posted, I can se that you have a talented team. In my own little opinion, I felt that something was missing. It may have to do with the target audience and the story. I gathered that the story has to do with exploration of space. I know that there are astronauts involved. Beyond that I don't know very much. Me, the anime fanatic, want to meet your hero, the sidekick, and the nemesis. I want to know if there is going to be action and blood, love and kisses, monsters (both cute and with tentacles).

Really! I do want to know. Youve teased me but left me with too many unanswered questions. If the DVD was released tomorrow, I would have to wait until somebody else bought it and let me borrow it.

I am not cracking on your work in any way, shape, or form. I just thought that you should know that the teaser didn't tease me like you may have hoped to.

Bill

p.s. Your narrator has a very cool voice - smooth and interesting.

Dude you are definately ready for the Discovery Channel or possibly the Sci Fi channel.

Nice smooth animation, and the sound was great. I think realistic animation however is a gamble. This may very well fit in at SCI Fi easily. It is better than half of the stuff they have.

Dude you are definately ready for the Discovery Channel or possibly the Sci Fi channel.

The "Walking with Dinosaurs" production team have a new show about exploring the planets of the Solar System, called "Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets", which is currently on the air in the UK. It'll probably end up on Discovery Channel like all their other shows have been.

Information on "Space Odyssey":

BBC official site

BBC press pack

Framestore CFC site with trailer

The article by Framestore, who produced CGI for the show, makes a point about the amount of detail required for mechanical modeling. That's something that strikes me about Far Star: I don't think the design of the Explorer is impressive enough for a "hero ship" that we're going to be seeing in every episode.

Looking at the forward section of the ship, I can't really tell what its function is, what's in it, and why it has to be that shape. And personally, I'm getting a little tired of science fiction CGI models with chrome textures. If one of the selling points of the show is that it's being made with low-cost software on personal computers, you at least have to aspire to the kind of quality Babylon 5 had, which started out being made on Amigas ten years ago.

I'd like to know more about the characters on Far Star too.

Hey I am certainly no expert or anything (so take what I say with a grain of salt so to speak) but from a viewers perspective I thought that the pace of camera movement and animation was a little monotonous. Apart from a couple of camera stops, everything moved at the same slow pace, the same pace as the narrative.

Just to be really picky, the moon and earth are way out of scale (based on orbital distance), both needed to have a much higher contrast light (the only thing that lights us is the sun) and the, I assume, orbitating station needs to be much closer to the earth (or perhaps you could have placed it in orbit around the moon so you had a good long shot of the earth). You've placed it at what appears to be one of the Lagrange points (ignoring scale) but most viewers will not understand this.

I really did like the way you ignited the engines and would love to learn more about how you did this.

Cheers

• 2 months later...