Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Son of MAAM

ddavis

Hey gang!!!

Well it's been a long few months since the last one but shouldn't the Mid Atlantic Animation Master Users Group get together soon. There has been some buzz via email. I felt it was time to put a post on to the list and see what everyone is up to and if a gathering could be in our future.

So far it looks like we will be somewhere in Pennsylvania sometime in December. But, as usual, its subject to change depending on all of us members.

So if you are a MAAM member, or would like to be, live somewhere between Delaware and New York (or further if you don't mind the drive), would like to improve your AM skills, are looking for a sympathetic ear to listen to your splining and animating problems, or just have nothing better to do, give us a post and let us know what you think about having an upcoming meeting. If you don't know what the heck I'm talking about check out

http://www.hubukai.com/animationmaster.asp

We are always looking for new members....remember we are stronger with you than without you

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be around!

I can show my Happy Bear stuff. I may actually have some audio lip synched by then, who knows.

p.s. I have been using v11 more now on the PC. Hopefully I can use the new v11.1 on the Mac, I just have to get my courage up.

Vernon "One Vote, 10 beers" Zehr

Did I mention that Vern is scaring the Be-Jesus out of me? :lol:

But I'll be there,

without dispair.

There is a contest here some of you might be interested in:

http://www.evermotion.org/index.php?unfold=contest

And you probably already know and are entering the "A:M I short" contest:

http://www.iiistudio.com/AMIShort/index.html

Come on guys... I'm going to enter both I think and best of all the "Evermotion contest" is due in FEB. and "A:M I short" is due in MAR.. So you can enter both and there is plenty of time.

"no votes, just one beer"

Alright Now!!!!

Zach!, I had no idea, we will definitely do our best to make sure you are present.

I know December is usually a busy month for everybody and I really appreciate the fact that you guys are willing to give the MAAM some thought and time. This can be the MAAM Winter Holiday Festival. (gotta make everything special)

I believe that as far as location goes we are either looking at somewhere in West Chester PA, or Center City Philadelphia, or Williamstown NJ (the other side of the river). This has yet to be decided. What do you think John???

As far as a date goes, we are looking at some Saturday in December (Saturdays seem to have work best in the past) this gives us the 4th, 11th or 18th (I assume that some of us may have something to do on Christmas Day, but I've been wrong before) Does anyone have a preference or conflict with any of those dates?

Let's have a little feedback and get this ball rolling!!!!

By the way Rich, Vern does not scare me, although he does have access to v11 hair now.

Hi Don,

First and foremost: Thanks a bunch for organizing these meetings!

Now that I'm back in the country I can finally attend!

Sorry that I could not make the last one. After I landed I had some unexpected business that I need to take care of.

I'll be there this time if I can get that time off from work.

It would be great if you can decide on a date and time in the next few weeks that way I can give my job plenty of notice.

As far as the locations you've listed, any one of them is good for me.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks again

I LIVE!!!,

Wait wasent that the title to a movie? Anyway, I want us all to pick the EASYIST location for other people to be able to come. West Chester, (my house) is on the available block, but you CANT beat the After meeting Philly Cheese steak and picture of beer or two or three in philly.

So I vote where ever is best to get the most new users to the meeting. I know thats not a decision but maybe philly would be good this time, then house of hubukai in early 2005.

Yea, we are all busy in december but hell, an AM meeting is just the thing we need to keep our sanity. (beer works too.) maybe a poll? I am 50% / 50% Philly / West chester... Sup to you guys... Maybe Phollythis time, then WC next time.. i need time to build my HDTV-PC!!!

Oh, and i started working on AM again, good for ME, ill have sometihng new to show.

Thoughts?

John H

Hi everybody,

First... glad to hear you are still with us Mac. Sorry you missed the last one but we will make up for it at this one.

John, I'm going to be in the market for a new TV myself soon, I need your advice on that.

Well it seems that everybody is OK with any date as long as there is advanced notice.

So... I suggest we go with Saturday, December 11th.

I can get us a room in Center City (actually at my work, there's nobody in the building on the weekend, yeehaa).

Before we commit to this date does any one have a problem or conflict with it.

In a few days I will post directions and all the details on the web.

Sure, there would be room for a desktop and if you feel you need to bring it then by all means please do, but I will have access to at least 2 laptop for this meeting and they will be at our disposal.

As long as you have your files and whatever you want to share on disk it shouldn't be a problem. I may even be able to pull a desktop from my office for our use.

I can't promise that we will have internet access. If I can I will try to get at least one computer hooked up for our use.

I will post directions and other stuff sometime this weekend.

Since my current project is in 11 for the hair, and I am still nervous about OSX v11.1 at this point, I will be burning all my Happy Bear stuff to CD and bringing it along. So I will need a computer there to show it off.

I don't have much more than what I've shown in the WIP forum but at least I can bring along the actual project files and show some tricks with photoshop and AM I discovered recently, like decaling the sides of a model and flattening and rendering to paint the rest of the textures for seamless liger stripes! Nothing ground breaking I am sure but it seems cool to me. I just couldn't get the dagnab stripes to line up on the legs!

I am especially proud of the Happy Bear intro I did in AM, using layers, targas created in photoshop and a flock of butterflies (It is in the HB thread but I have not posted the new one with the butterflies). I may start using AM more than AE and premier now for this stuff. So much easier to keyframe.

I will bring along copies of my scripts I wrote for some of the episodes. I just wrote a new one about Larry's lunch in the break room and an unexpected visit from Mrs. Heather Feather the school teacher chicken....hee hee...

...crap!... coffee out my nose...

Vernon "hee hee..." Zehr

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

No problems, just itching for Saturday!!!

Anybody need a wake up call...no?...no matter I'm just kidding.

By the way I was checking the room out and you guys might want to dress in layers. Turns out that the heat has been turned off in some parts of the building so I have no idea how warm or cold it may be on Saturday.

consider yourselves forewarned.

See ya all on Saturday at high noon.

PS

I was thinking about places to go after the meeting. Anyone have a preference for a particular type of food. I was thinking maybe Jon's Bar and Grille on South Street which just happens to be located right under one of my favorite land mark sites, the mural of Larry Fine.

http://www.stoogeworld.com/_Whats%20New/mural.htm

I'm getting too far ahead of myself, sorry.

Hi Zach,

The projector does not have a mini DVI input.

I know that the Powerbook has a different type of monitor port than PC.

The projector has PC, RCA and S-Video inputs. I have a variety of different connectors that I usually bring with me.

I recently purchased a "universal video converter" whether it is truly "universal" remains to be seen but it has numerous inputs and outputs and it may do the trick.

At the first meeting we didn't have a connector for Vern's Mac so John hooked up his camera to the projector and just aimed it at the monitor of Vern's Mac, it worked quite nicely.

Vern said he has a converter that he uses for his Powerbook, perhaps if he is listening he could bring it on Saturday. VERN!!!!???

I was planning on bringing my camera so if worse come to worse could do the same as we did at the first meeting.

No matter what I'm sure we can get your Powerbook working with the projector one way or another.

Yes, I have two now actually...

It only works for iBooks though... I think. I think the Powerbooks require a different connector.

The one I have has mini DV to VGA... I think... I forget if the iBook is mini DV... why can't they all use the same damn thing already!

Vernon "!" Zehr

Don (and company),

Thanks a lot for coordinating the MAAM meeting.

My wife and I had a wonderful time!

Count us in on the next meeting whenever you decide on having it.

Vern and Zach, You two are great guys.

You both displayed some fabulous projects and I wish you both good luck with completing them. It's certainly great inspiration for me to keep at it.

I'll post the wireframes for my images that I showed you in the near future so that you can see what I was unable to show at the meeting. I suppose that I'll post them in the WIP forum rather than here in this thread. (I'll post a link to it here though.)

Ok guys, take care and I'll see you later...

WooHoo!

That was fun!

Thanks to Don for setting it up and getting the space... we could have had a rave in that room it was so big... maybe next time right Don?.. Don? Hello?

Not as many people as expected (?) but still a good time.

I believe the hilight for everyone was seeing a video clip of my brother taking off his shirt in front of an audience...uh... maybe not. I too was frightened seeing it on a big screen.

My favorite part was seeing Zach's current project... very funny. Can't look at soap the same way anymore... my sponges look strange too.

Thanks for coming Mack. I really enjoyed seeing some of your work and look forward to seeing the wireframes... would also like to see the wireframe on the female figure. Very smooth... must be good spline work there.

I really hope your wife wasn't bored to tears by a bunch of 3D nerds talking splines and hooks.

Look forward to the next one. Hope I have more/better stuff to show.

Vernon "!" Zehr

Thanks to all of you!!!!

That was a great meeting.

Mack, you stuff was great and extremely ambitious, I can't wait to see.... well, any more of it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do what you are doing in AM. It should get a lot of attention when you start to post it. BTW your wife is a great sport for putting up with us, please give her my thanks once again.

Zach, I think you have the contest wrapped up. Can't wait to see the finished product. Thanks for sharing and for being the one who came the furthest to attend.

Vern...what can I say...words can't describe the admiration I have for your work, your stories, and you in general. You really know how to jump-start our meetings. You have an abundance of energy that is infectious and just seems to get everyone psyched. Maybe your brother can do his act live at the next meeting, is he available for weddings and bar mitzvahs?

I really sorry Rich, John and Chris were not able to make it. Well maybe next time. I hope you guys are all OK, drop us a line and let us know.

AND THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME!!! (I just don't know when)

Well, if all goes well we will be able to use the same room, if not I'll figure something out.

Once again THANKS to all of you. I'm honored to get the chance to meet you all face to face and know that there are really others out there who share this strange obsession.

I'm such an idiot!

My boss was on vacation last week- I srewed up at work and got "talked to" and so I was so concerened with work I forgot about the meeting... I had a lot on my mind... sorry I didn't make it this time around.

• 3 weeks later...