Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Kokubu Sachiko v2

I'm still working on the hands, face, and cloth, but I've fixed a few things.

The aliasing in the highlights of the hair is temporary; please ignore it for now.

http://www.angelfire.com/film/noanoa/kokubu.html

http://www.angelfire.com/film/noanoa/kokubu2.html

http://www.angelfire.com/film/noanoa/kokubu3.html

All comments and criticism are welcome!

Thanks,

Noah

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! I will fix the thigh/cloth collision on the next revision, among other things.

As for the skin texture imperfections, I use very subtle bump and specularity maps, with a subtly textured color map as well. It has taken me several hours in Photoshop to get the skin textures to where they are in these renders.

Oh yeah, one of the renders has the sleeve from the original photo temporarily masked on top of it. ...I need to start modeling that.

Can you show us what the original photo looks like? I want to see whether the shadowing on her face or the lack of specularity in her eyes is something from the original that you wanted to reproduce.

the tweaks have really tightened up the piece here. as far as i'm concerned she's done!

i just did figure out what was bugging me about her face, however: i still haven't seen the source photo, but she looks more britney than japanese.

its the eye shape and heavy mascara/liner -- but as i said -- i could be dead-on kokubu for all i know.

i'm surprised there hasn't been more begging for wireframes. ' ' )

-jon

Thanks for all the comments!

I just posted some slightly higher rez versions for all 3 renders. I also posted 2 of the original photos at:

http://www.angelfire.com/film/noanoa/kokubu4.html

Next I will address the specularity in the eyes, as well as the changes listed below each render.

I will try to get some wireframes posted sometime today also.

Thanks everyone,

Noah

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

I'm a bit afraid to tell you what I really think! Wow! :blink:

Awesome work.

Makes me think of the suggeston by Fuchur (I think) about updating the stills on the A:M site. Your work definitely should be put up there in the spotlight.

You need to talk to us about the hair and skin... definitely... so talk! ;)

If I had to pick a spot that I think you should work on I'd say the knees.

You may want to investigate Phil Leavens animated decal skin thingy as he's producing some nice results in stills and animations via his technique with minimal splinage.

Here is the link to the beginning of his tutorial/lesson on his site

Bravo!

Very good model, textures and lighting and overall pictures. I like the very feminine feel to her even though she is pictured in sort of hero poses. Hero poses but not overly testosterone driven. With self confidence but not blind confidence. Image 11 have a determined look but not a killer look.

If I were to nit-pick on something, I don't particularly like those panels in the background of the first serie. It is too characteristic of computer generated imagery. And I find the square tile under her is too sharply cut. I would extend the floor so that we don't see the edges and delimit the visible part of the floor with a spot or if you don't want to modify your lighting, with a spherical material designed to make the central part of the floor fade to black in a circular way.

MAN! Phew! Your models are unbelievable! Love the hair too. I think you & Yves are by far the best modelers of females Hash has. You had one other female model I saw maybe a year ago and you did a fabulous job on her as well. I think she had a "slightly" more exaggerated figure but still those are the best.

There needs to be some kind of Hash Community Award for you guys; not associated with the image contest but for an obvious clear understanding of the human topography & the how-to's behind spline modeling.

Up to this point, you guys are unbeatable.... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

There should be a couple more wireframes here, too.

http://www.angelfire.com/film/noanoa/kokubu8.html

http://www.angelfire.com/film/noanoa/kokubu10.html

As for the veins, I have to address them on an image by image basis depending on the lighting. (The lighting will make them either too subtle, or too pronounced) I will tone them back in future revisions; Thanks!

Noah

Chiming in--- NICE work Noah! I enjoy looking at your images...

MY NITPIKS: You asked... The ones on black...you need a 'rimlight' behind her to catch her edges and add drama... The 'cubed' ones...this nitpik is quite 'Seinfeldish'...her bellybutton looks, well, yucky. Dirty. large. I would reduce the amount of 'dark' from that area...I know you are emulating a real model, but my eye is just drawn to that bellybutton...

Planning on animating? I hope so! Keep up the stellar work!

How timely to bring up animation! (BTW, thanks for the suggestions, too!)

I wasn't planning on animating the renders from this thread, but I will repurpose the character model into my BGC animation.

Over the past 3 months I've been digesting a lot of source influences, in hopes of gaining a clearer direction for my Bubblegum animation. These sources are wide-ranging, and include watching video games, music videos, the invasion of Iraq, analyzing mocap movements in A:M, attending a workshop on Sesame Street Muppeteering, and observing the production of my company's pilot episode for a new 3D cartoon.

All of these new things are swirling around in my head now, so I'm trying to re-evaluate the best direction for my Bubblegum animation. In short, I want to improve its content and visuals over my previous expectations.

Time to do more storyboards...

In another thread about avoiding creases it was sagely pointed out;

"...your breaking one major rule- a spline dead-heading into an intersection. Nope; not good. Gotta be another way to solve the splineage at that point."

However it appears in the wireframes of Sachiko v2 that she has this very splinage at her cheek bone with no sign of creasing. What magic did you perform?

face_splinage.jpg

This ONE part of the face has always been a pain for me to resolve, and so far, this is the best solution that I've come up with. I used that dead-heading spline that you mentioned into the top of the cheek because the resulting crease is less visually disturbing than the weird bump that results from a 5-point patch at that location. However, (though it may not be visible in the wireframe) I actually have the dead-heading spline CONTINUE past the intersection with another cp to make the spline's adjacent surfaces as smooth as possible. On top of this, using porcelain helps a bit. Still, with certain lighting conditions, the crease on top of the cheeks can be visible...

As for modeling the face and hair, in general, it takes dozens of hours of work to get right (if you're a perfectionist). The more good reference that you have, the easier it will be to model. I've redone my basic face spline structure at least 5 times over the past few years to get to the one that I use now. I think the key is to just try and enjoy the process and make improvements one step at a time.

Noah