Hash, Inc. Forums

Room for Animation

The 4 things that have a real impact on render time are:

1) Final render size,

2) Number of lights in the scene

3) Number of ray cast per light

4) Number of passes

The number of objects or of maps in a scene have very little influence on render time compared to those 4 parameters. Materials may have a perceivable influence.

Hey Daniel;

I just jumped back onto your room topic (here). From the last image you posted - camera 2 - I really really like the detail on the door. That is fantastic. The brass lever type door handle is done very well. I cheated and used a round knob type handle on my door. In that same image I found something that struck me funny. I cant quite figure out what has caught my eye but the table next to the chair seems "funny". Sorry that I cant even be remotely constructive. :-(

Bill

Like maybe all the wood stuff is fancy molding and here's this table with 4-point straight extruded legs? :P

Thanks, Yves, for pointing that out. I know that I can easily remove six lights. Look just above the track lights. That little highlight is added with another bulb. Do you think that should be removed?

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of new things completed!

• Made lighting color more white
  • Lightened inside of fireplace
  • Applied brick color and bump map to fireplace
  • Changed lamp stand colors to black
  • Adjusted lamp shades for color and glow
  • Remodeled end table legs
  • Changed ceiling and two lamp lights to cast two rays each (but left track lighting at one ray)
  • Added fill light for better lighting
  • Bulbs in track lighting recessed
  • Removed extra lights from track lighting
  • Cut holes in backs of track lights (which you really can't see)
  • Oak paneling (very nice touch!)
  • Books on right bookshelf
  • Sound System module
  • Globe model (right bookshelf)
  • Mug (mantle)
  • Teapot (fireplace)
  • Big picture (with a canvas bump map applied)

YiR04-Room1p-000.jpg

YiR04-Room2i-000.jpg

YiR04-Room4d-000.jpg

Next to complete:

• Titles on books
  • Mantle accessories (key elements from all my past Year in Review productions)
  • Pictures in picture frames
  • More chairs for later animation
  • Model remote control

I'm almost done with the room! Soon, I can start on the animation. At my calculations, if RenderMuscle is available to render this animation, sticking ten computers on this animation will take about a month to render the whole estimated five minutes. I'll probably be asking for additional help. :)

The opening views of this animation will be close-up panning across the bookshelves. Because of this, I'm focusing more on the books' textures. I made the following texture by scanning my genuine leather Bible, grayscaling the image, and then a levels adjustment to make the majority of the map be 50% gray ("level" for A:M's bump maps). I then imported the image into A:M as a circular projection map set to bump -100 (instead of inverting the colors in PS). I think it turned out pretty well. What do you think? Now I just need to place the book titles.

YiR04-books1a-060.jpg

Looking great dude! Can't wait to see the animation once you start!

A few posts back someone mentioned something about the chair and/or table looking slightly off in the Camera 2 render. I think what might be throwing them off is the scale of the chair. It looks too large in relation to the room and the table.

Part of it might be camera distortion...I don't know what mm lens you are using but I think the biggest thing is the scale of the chair in relation to the table/room.

Just my $.02. Keep up the good work!

A few posts back someone mentioned something about the chair and/or table looking slightly off in the Camera 2 render. I think what might be throwing them off is the scale of the chair. It looks too large in relation to the room and the table.

Actually, I noticed the same thing once I placed the character in the scene. The chair was way to big so I'm shrinking it down by about 25%.

• 4 weeks later...

New renders!

Changed:

• 2000 ribbon for mantle
  • 2001 medallion for mantle
  • 2002 photo in frame for mantle
  • 2003 hat and rubber ducky for mantle
  • Christmas stocking (will maybe hold something)

YiR04-Room1r-000.jpg

YiR04-Room4e-000.jpg

I still need to put photos in the frames, improve the stereo system, and pick a decal for the mug. But I'm to the point that I can begin animating!

In fact, here is a preview render of the opening of the opening. :)

Your room is looking just fabulous. The only nitpicks I have are almost to minor to mention.

First, if your animation is going to have as close a look at the top of the bricks on the fireplace as the render above implies, I would make a decal for the top of the bricks so they don't have that streaky look. I know that's really nitpicky, but it seems to me like you want this animation to look very professional.

Second, and FAR more subjective on my part, is that I personally think the carpet should be a more different color than the walls. I don't know why I think that, it just strikes me. What would look really, really nice would be a nice hardwood floor.

keep up the good work, I'll watch the animation so far when i am home from work.

:D

Thanks, guys!

Maybe the light from fire should effect the shadows of chair and table more?

I'd like it to, but I can't seem to make the fire lighting effects any brighter. Very frustrating.

What color do you guys think for the carpet? Wood would be neat, but there's already a ton of wood, and wood makes for different reverb, so that would mandate more audio processing to make it sound realistic.