Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Room for Animation

Here's a preview render of my progress for Year in Review 2004. All animation will take place in this room. The current lighting is the default choreography with the addition of the two lamps. I'll tweak the lighting as time goes on.

For the moment, I'm looking for modeling critiques, but if you have any helpful thoughts on lighting, textures, design, or anything else, I'd love to hear them!

YiR04-Room1.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Daniel--

It's looking good to me, though the fireplace leaves a bit to be desired at the moment. :)

My only modeling question is the chair... most chairs of that type that I've seen don't have such a straight back; they're tilted back a bit for comfort, so the struts form a curve rather than a straight line. But if you have a chair that looks like that, then I'm obviously wrong.

Also, the speckled windowframes texture doesn't look quite right to me.

I got the chair from ... somewhere. I haven't really focused on it. I plan to make it the same wood as everything else, or else make it black as I'm planning for some other stuff.

I think the speckle effect is from a distant and low-res render. JPEG compression didn't do too much to it. It's the same Enhance:AM texture as the other dark wood.

Anyone got some good carpet or ceiling textures?

The shadows look really nice in this one!

They sure do! :D

256 passes is an awful lot though.

Are you going to experiment with this to find the best compromise with render time vs. quality? (I'm assuming here that you're going to have some form of animation in the final version).

Good luck, it's really coming along nicely. :D

Just before I went to bed, I checked the render status and it was around pass 40. It looked really good, so I may consider a 32-pass render. However, 16 passes may be enough if animation is going on.

I'll play around tonight with the track lights. Each fixture currently uses two lights: one klieg to cast the light and one bulb to illuminate the fixture and give that nice light above the fixture.

My home desktop is traditionally slow at rendering. "March of the Rubber Duckies" took about 15–20 minutes per frame (MPF), while everyone that helped reported under 10 MPF.

The difficulty with this animation is its platform mandate. I'm using DarkTree SimbointAM and Enhance:AM, which are both Windows-only. This also means that RenderMuscle would need these plug-ins as would anyone else who helps me render.

I'd really like to keep a select group updated on my Year in Review project, but I don't want to make any publically-accessible page on my website lest some clever person from my church gets a preview. So I'm making my project center in my forums, which are restricted to registered access only. But don't worry, I know most of you don't want to register on another site, so I made a standard login and password that I'll give to trusted people:

CHANGED USERNAME AND PASSWORD

Username: authorized-hash

Passcode: martin

If you want to register your own account, that's fine. If you do, then you must join the Year in Review usergroup to access the forum.

I'll still keep the Hash forum up-to-date on my 3D stuff, but if you want to see more about the project, get more details on progress, or just tap into the whole center for the project, then visit my forums.

BTW, thanks for the concern over my collapsed lung. I actually plan a joke about it in my animation.

Here's the latest render.

YiR04-Room3.jpg

Changes are as follows:

• Added lightbulbs to track lighting and ceiling light. I still need to work with making them appear to glow. I may do a multi-bulb setup for the ceiling light. What do you think?

• Added window glass and plastic frames.

• Changed fireplace outside to marble texture

• Rotated ceiling light for symetry and to avoid undesired shadow placement.

• Modeled picture frame and glass, which you can't see in this render. :(

BTW, I do plan on donating a lot of these models I'm creating. If you have anything that could contribute to a room like this (see my previous list for specifics), please contact me or post in here.

RenderMuscle is an animation studio that uses A:M in their productions and on their render farm. Mike Ulrich has rendered my two past Year in Review animations at a very good rate. They are responsible for the fun Noah's Ark musical project. Just a quick search for them will reveal high praises for their service. If they're available, I hope to have RenderMuscle render this animation when it's finished.

More renders!

Changes:

• Added glow to ceiling and track lighting

• Adjusting lamp lightings

• Changed lamp shadow mode to 4-ray-casting in attempts to achieve softer shadows on the ceiling with fewer passes

• Adjusted reflections

• Added wood ceiling-wall trim

• Improved bookcase wood material (though something weird is happening with the top surfaces)

• Added temporary books

• Added pictures frames

• Rendered new angles

yir04-room1f-000.jpg

yir04-room2b-000.jpg

yir04-room3c-000.jpg

That second frame took two hours and twenty-one minutes to render at 16-passes. The others averaged fifty-five minutes.

I've also posted the Year in Review logo and the animation story sketch on my website if you'd like to see them. As before, login information is as follow:

Username: authorized-hash

Passcode: martin

Yes, there will be pictures in the frames, which is posing a real complication. I'd like to put stuff like Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc. in there, but that probably wouldn't go with copyrights. I also thought about pictures from the rest of the Year in Review video, but then some people may not appreciate their photos being used in an animation that is spread internationally. The other idea is for "generic" pictures, but also with some humor. Like a piggy bank, a shoe, a car, etc.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

How did you get the beams off the top ceiling light (in the middle)

That's simply a single bulb light (as opposed to a light bulb :)) in a model with transparent and opaque patches. I'm remodeling that ceiling light to look more realistic.

Man, I shudder to think what the render times will be for this. And I haven't even added the fire and fire lighting effects!

Yes, there will be pictures in the frames, which is posing a real complication. I'd like to put stuff like Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc. in there, but that probably wouldn't go with copyrights.

Just a thought, but I'm sure you could get permission from some of the AM users who enter the stills competitions to use their images in the frames. ;)

• Admin
Yes, there will be pictures in the frames, which is posing a real complication. I'd like to put stuff like Mike and Sully from Monsters Inc. in there, but that probably wouldn't go with copyrights. 

I think a quick shot of little detail could be seen as fair use in your case.

It seems more of a tip of the hat to PIXAR's talent and characters than it does infringement on their trademarks.

Of course... When Vic Navone delivers the legal paperwork in person... don't look for me... I'll be outta here! ;)

Here we are again with Lifestyles of the Rendered and Not-Yet-Famous:

yir04-room1h-000.jpg

yir04-room2c-000.jpg

Changed:

• More lighting adjustments
  • Wood texture adjustments (note the top surfaces)
  • Remodeled ceiling light
  • Three-hour-long door—MAN! You can barely see it! Trust me, it look really good
  • Fire in the fireplace
  • New Camera2 angle (hardly something to IM home about)

I'm also posting this year's logo, which will be used on a TV in the room to actually introduce the video's title in a Star Wars style. I still need to post the "script" on here.

YiR04-Logo.jpg

Hopefully coming next:

• Fire lighting effects
  • Model widescreen TV
  • Add better shaders on the books and place them in all shelves
  • Adjust bookshelf shelves
  • Add tall wall molding (about three feet tall)
  • Suffering from advanced render times

Hmm. I'm changing the lighting a bit. I'm decreasing the intensity of the two lamps, doubling the fall-off of the ceiling light and decreasing it's intensity to compensate. I'm also moving the bulb in the tall lamp down just a bit to cast a better shadow underneath it. Renders may be up tomorrow.

watch out for aligning object edges

Hi, Daniel

I'm not exactly sure what Nimlepix was refering to but perhaps he means details like the back of the chair aligning with the shadow in the fireplace. That is something that can trouble the eye and wreck the overall effect.

I haven't read the whole of this thread but just comparing the various renders shows that you are making very good progress.

Thanks for posting. :)

• Admin
I haven't read the whole of this thread but just comparing the various renders shows that you are making very good progress.

That makes me think that a timelapse sequence might be in order.

Hopefully it doesn't cycle too quickly.

Looking good! :)

YiR04_Room1Timelapse.gif

Aah! I see what you mean now. I wasn't thinking "photographically." I'll keep that in mind for whenever the camera is stationary. For now, these are just test renders that I'm keeping in the same position to do stuff like Rodney did. The final camera angles will be much different. But I will remember this. Thanks for pointing that out!

Good point and good eye Dan

View 1 aligning edges:

- Foreground lamp top aligned with floor-wall edge.

- Back of chair aligning with fireplace inside wall.

- Chair seat edge aligning with floor-fireplace base.

View2 aligning edges:

- Top of chair aligning with frame bases.

- Chair seat edge aligning with floor-wall edge.

Edit: Oops, I did not see there was a page 3 when I wrote this. Well...

This is really shaping up well. Aside from the composition of the shot (which i know is just for test renders), it looks like you have a popcorn ceiling. Depending on the location of the house (east coast, west coast) and how old the people are that own it (over 70/under 70) then I'd think about getting rid of the popcorn. Yes, it adds texture, but that's a detail in the ceiling I'd use if I was going for a house in in the 50'-60's-70's, or if the owner of the house is older and or, likes that popcorn ceiling. To me it makes it feel a little dated. Also, you may want to look at other colors for the walls...check out the Ralph Lauren paints. We've done a few rooms in our house (1950's) using these and they work very well, and add a timeless feel to the rooms. Otherwise, the rest of it is looking very nice.

One other thing to think of..you don't have to make all the walls the same color. For example, we painted out family room a camel color on three walls, then used a brick red color on the far wall. It ties in nicely with the camel color, and helps break up the room, providing a nice focal point (our TV is at that end of the room as well).

Greg

Hmm! Those colors do look really nice! The only reason I was using the forest green was because my previous house had a "rich room" (as I liked to call it) with that color.

I haven't touched the floor or ceiling yet. The "roughness" you see is from the multi-ray-casting lamps in order to attempt "soft" shadows without rendering 48+ passes. I may have to increase the rays cast.

Thanks for the tips! I try some things out.

Glad you liked it. I remember a house on TV having the dark green walls and lots of wood...very masculine feeling. What's kind of nice with these colors is that it remains masculine, and also creates more a of a feeling of depth in the room as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for catching that, Hutch!

As of last night:

yir04-room1l-000.jpg

Changed:

• Fire lighting effects!
  • End table model (complete with drawer)
  • More lighting adjustments (mainly turning off the fill lights, but I may turn these back on)
  • Door handle modification (but you can't see it in this render)
  • Changed ground color to same as walls
  • Fixed wood molding on tops of windows and door

Still to do (bold items hopefully in next update)

• Consider wall color change
  • Possible better carpet texture
  • Adjust lampshades to look more realistic
  • Add light inside fireplace to remove shadow and make more realistic
  • Possible color change to the lamps' bases
  • Books on the right bookshelf
  • Titles on books
  • Mantle accessories (key elements from all my past Year in Review productions)
  • Pictures in picture frames
  • Model remote control
  • Improve TV model (maybe)

What are your opinions on the lamps' bases? The red looks awkward. I'm thinking about black, gold, silver, or maybe something else. Suggestions?